Match bullets vs. speed goats….

In my experience 215 bergers do better then the 205 elite and 210 vld. 300 otm better then 300 elite hunter. Shot a bull 6 times at 1280 with 300 elite all 6 penciled through with drilled tips. 3 in the lungs 3 in the shoulder. He was dead but i dont stop till they flop. Anyway otm have done much better. I did talk to my buddy yesterday hes a outfitter in frank church he had client i guess put a good shot placement on a bear last weekend with 147 eldm in 6.5 prc 200 yards. They tracked it for a mile before blood dried up. They saw it feeding two days later he shot and missed it that time. Said it rolled it first time bear got up and ran

Last edited:
@orkan did a number on some animals with the 110 A-Tip. I wouldn't be scared of "match" bullets on light skinned animals, more likely they go nuclear than pencil IMO. If they hit a bone it's game over, you might lose a quarter but the animal will be anchored.

So to follow up with a question as I'm heading to hunt pronghorn this year as well, Any concern for close shots with Eld-Ms? I know they work well far, but what about inside 200 yards?

I had one go nuclear hitting bone from a 6.5CM at about 100 yards, but the poor little guy literally didn't even take a step - dropped in his socks. Pig injured whitetail, bad situation, but the kill was quick and clean. I go back and forth on calling it a failure, I'd like to see it hold together better but the end result was fine. Vertebra shot, not a rib. But if the damage I saw was replicated by a rib it would be a dead-on kill.

So to follow up with a question as I'm heading to hunt pronghorn this year as well, Any concern for close shots with Eld-Ms? I know they work well far, but what about inside 200 yards?
On pronghorn you shouldn't have trouble, friend of mine levels them with a 6.5 PRC and 147 gr eldms. Bigger critters, I'd find something better. I've had to make follow up shots on a couple deer for the same buddy because of bullet failure, both instances were under a 100 yards and had the bullet blow up on bone. One ancient whitetail had a basketball sized hole in his ribs and sternum but barely left blood. I shot it two more times with a 308 after bumping him from a bed. That was with 168 grain amaxes. Best bullet for that cartridge IMO.

This one was taken with a 147 ELDM from a short-barreled 6.5 PRC (2,800 ft/s muzzle velocity) at just over 200 yards. That combo has also worked well on five muleys and an elk from 135-580 over the last couple years. On elk-sized game I give the shoulder plenty of buffer or switch to a different bullet if anticipating tough angles.

Attachments

• IMG_7272.jpeg
    IMG_7272.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 60
This one was taken with a 147 ELDM from a short-barreled 6.5 PRC (2,800 ft/s muzzle velocity) at just over 200 yards. That combo has also worked well on five muleys and an elk from 135-580 over the last couple years. On elk-sized game I give the shoulder plenty of buffer or switch to a different bullet if anticipating tough angles.
Looks like it worked 🤣

I used the 6mm 112grn Match Burner out of my 6mm-284 on my last speed goat, shot was ~340yds, bit explosive at that range & velocity but killed just fine.

6.5mm 160grn Matrix VLD out of my 6.5WSM killed a decent muley buck quite easily.

Ex-wife used the 7mm 180grn VLD out of my 7SAUM to take her last goat as well.

t
That 160 Matrix VLD was a great bullet! I'm down to my last about 300. What are you planning to switch to when your supply dries up?

That 160 Matrix VLD was a great bullet! I'm down to my last about 300. What are you planning to switch to when your supply dries up?
Brother, I wish I knew. I'm down to my last ~100-ish. Probably the 156 EOL. Not like I have a choice lol. If you have a better idea, please let me know. The rifle started life geared toward the 130 Cutting Edge MTH. It launched those at 3400 with devastating results but the BC of the 160 won out & I switched.

t

Recent Posts