Match bullets vs. speed goats….

MTGunner

To start with this is not a debate. Merely a question of information in this regard Vs thin skinned animals. Who loads what and in which platform?
Have successfully taken two good pronghorn with 107 grain SMK in my 260AI, XP100R. Both one and done. One at approx. 360 yds. +/-. MTG

Never taken a speed goat before, but a pile of south texas white tails, blackbuck antelope, axis, and a few mule deer with ELDMs. For the whitetail and exotics, 140 eldms out of a 20" 6.5 creedmoor have been devastating on them, even without hitting bone for expansion. On the alternative, I've used 178 ELDx out of a 308 before on several whitetail and expansion was not impressive and a marginal shot could of resulted in a lost animal. For mule deer, I've used 225 eldms and they have been great, punching through at least one shoulder and destroying the vitals and while still expanding without hitting bone. Berger 245 EOLs have also worked great at expanding without hitting bone as well out to 600 yards.

In my opinion, I would not hesitate to use an ELDM in your 260 for pronghorn. For Hornady, ELDMs have thinner jackets than their ELDX line, and for Berger, their hunting line has thinner jackets than their target line of bullets. Not all target bullets are the same, and its a stigma that is difficult to break.

Back in 1984 a Pal talked me into loading up some Sierra Matchkings for my 30-06 when we got drawn for a special Deer and Hog hunt in South Carolina. We both took deer and the effect was explosive. I hit a young 8 point behind the shoulder and still damaged the backstrap. My friend shot a small doe and she blew up, basically killed and gutted all at once. I never tried that again.
However, like Slowshot18 I've had excellent success with the Hornady ELDM on deer and hogs. Im loading them in my grandsons 6ARC, my Grendel and 6.5 creedmoor too.

Popped one 2 yrs ago with a 6.5 prc 147 eldm at 2960 at approximately 400 yds. Bullet blew up with lots of meat damage. Killed it but the cape was ruined. With the reduced pistol velocity will probably be perfect for them. My .02

I use/have used a LOT of "match" bullets for hunting. But not all match bullets are built the same.
Berger "Match" or "Target" bullets have slightly THICKER jackets than the hunting lines.

.224 52 SMK, 69 SMK in .22-250 & .223 Rem AR
6mm 105 Hyb in 6CM
.257" 135 LR Hyb, 131 BJ Ace (SMK) in 25SST
6.5mm 130 TMK, 130 OTM, 140 Hyb, 142 SMK, 144 LR Hyb, 150 SMK in 6.5SLR, .260AI, 6.5SS (X3)
7mm 160 TMK, 168 SMK, 175 SMK, 180 Hyb, 183 SMK, 184 F Open Hyb in .280AI, 7SS and 7RM
.308 175 OTM, 175 SMK, 200.20X Hyb, 210 SMK, 215 Hyb, 230 Hyb, 230 OTM in .300RUM & .30-06 (.300PRC coming soon)

I have killed several whitetail, many mule deer, and a few antelope with 87 grain Hornady BTHPs out of my 243. With very few exceptions that bullet impacts and delivers all of its energy to the critter, and the remaining mushroomed Bullet can be found just under the hide on the far side of the animal (on average about 60% of the bullets original mass). I've taken 4 deer with my 220 swift and a 52 grain Nosler CC that did the same thing, though there is not much left of that bullet under the hide, just a copper jacket

I have not tried a match bullet with my larger calibers, but I'm interested in the ELD-M performance in the 7mm and 30 cal offerings from what I've read and watched in YouTube videos.

I used the (old) 162gr A-Max bullets, fired from a custom 7STW, for many years on whitetails. The results at all distances were impressive. I never had a bullet blow up on the surface of a deer. Most dropped like a bag of rocks.
I used the Sierra 150 MK's for years as well, in my 7 stw gen 1
Sendero, with bang flop results....

I used the 6mm 112grn Match Burner out of my 6mm-284 on my last speed goat, shot was ~340yds, bit explosive at that range & velocity but killed just fine.

6.5mm 160grn Matrix VLD out of my 6.5WSM killed a decent muley buck quite easily.

Ex-wife used the 7mm 180grn VLD out of my 7SAUM to take her last goat as well.

t

To start with this is not a debate. Merely a question of information in this regard Vs thin skinned animals. Who loads what and in which platform?
Have successfully taken two good pronghorn with 107 grain SMK in my 260AI, XP100R. Both one and done. One at approx. 360 yds. +/-. MTG
I used to shoot groundhogs with the 107 out of a 26" VLS in 260 Rem. up to 400+ yards. Some hits were explosive, and some were pencil holes in and out. It all depends on the strike angle and what was hit it seemed. It steered me away from using them on deer sized animals. The tipped version seems to be better. Of course, 3 years later, try to find some. I switched over to Hornady 123 ELD-M. My bullet shelves are slowly changing over from green boxes to yellow boxes and red boxes. I wish they had a Calvin sticker for Sierra Bullets, for my truck.

Last edited:
I used Sierra 168 MKs and Lapua Scenar 155's match out of a 308 for a number of years. Antelope, whitetail, hogs, and a single aoudad. Rifle was dialed in, bullet placement was key, as expansion was in no way reliable. Most of this use was culling WT does and management bucks, moderate ranges from 100-300 yards. Do less culling these days, and have moved on from hunting with match bullets.