Master Bedroom Woodchucks!

Good idea. A fully grown woodchuck will be as tough as an old boot. You can par-boil one for a week and you still won't be able to stick a fork in it. If it's old enough to have ever dug its own den, it's too old to eat. Get a couple of little ones, about the size of a bunny-rabbit, and the meat will be tender & tasty. Just don't forget to cut the glands out of its armpits, as those will stink up your kitchen and your wife will skin you. It will also make the meat inedible. They are a pain in the neck to skin, but if you nail them up to a board by their paws, you can peel off the hide more handily. Roofing nails hold them up nicely. The barn at our old hunting camp in the Alleghenies has a couple hundred pairs of woodchuck paws nailed to the beams. We ate a ton of those little rascals when I was a kid, and they are some of the best eating I've ever had.
No wifey. But still don't want a stinky home & bad tasting meal. Thanks for the info.

The Strelock APP helped me hit the mark with the 85 grain Sierra @3150fps. Even with no reticle subtentions!

Attachments

• IMG_7752.png
    IMG_7752.png
    53 KB · Views: 53
Finally got one yesterday with the Savage B22 'FV' at @ 80 yards. It was a young one, but I just couldn't lay off the first one of the year. 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 466133
Nice! I'll take 'em any way I can get 'em with any implement I have at my disposal! At the farm where I hunt, he planted corn this year and it's getting tall so we're about done hunting the fields but we see them now and again around the barns and outbuildings. Have to be careful shooting them there and usually step down to the CZ455 with some Stingers.

Even though I haven't shot a woodchuck in probably 30 years, I'm still enjoying this thread.

I used to shoot them a lot as a kid. My favorite was with my .44 Redhawk.
One year, we had a tornado go through. It tipped over trees, silage wagons, sheds, you name it.
We had a neighbor with a sizable population of woodchucks out in his pasture, so I wandered over to ask permission to hunt.

He says "Sure, you can hunt the pasture, but I got a ton of them right here behind the barn I'd like to get rid of."
I'd walk around the tipped over wagons and whatnot and shoot them with that .44 from probably anywhere from 10 to 30 yards.
I always thought that farmer had to be half nuts to let a 17 year old kid with a cannon shoot that close to the farmyard.
Sure enjoyed it though.

Last edited:
Even though I haven't shot a woodchuck in probably 30 years, I'm still enjoying this thread.

I used to shoot them a lot as a kid. My favorite was with my .44 Redhawk.
One year, we had a tornato go through. It tipped over trees, silage wagons, sheds, you name it.
We had a neighbor with a sizable population of woodchucks out in his pasture, so I wandered over to ask permission to hunt.

He says "Sure, you can hunt the pasture, but I got a ton of them right here behind the barn I'd like to get rid of."
I'd walk around the tipped over wagons and whatnot and shoot them with that .44 from probably anywhere from 10 to 30 yards.
I always thought that farmer had to be half nuts to let a 17 year old kid with a cannon shoot that close to the farmyard.
Sure enjoyed it though.

One of my old buddies had a woodchuck digging up the inside of one of his grain bins. He went in there and set up a lawn chair, and sat there and waited for him to come out of his hole. He had the 12-gauge slug gun across his lap. Yup - you guessed it. When the chuck came up, he gave him one through the rib cage, and that was the end of the story for the chuck. It was also the end of my buddy's ear drums, and shooting the big gun inside the grain bin had his ears ringing for a week.

Appropriate (and cute) story about my late Grandfather who earned a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for his country after surviving the beaches of Normandy in WWII. He and my Uncle (who was just a boy at the time) were outside one day and my Grandfather spotted a large groundhog messing around on the property. He and his trusty .22 rifle went on the stalk. He circled around behind the groundhog in an attempt to get between the hog and its hole. Well, the hog spotted him a little too soon and went for the hole and my Grandfather let the .22 (repeater) start barking. He rolled up the hog just before it made it to its hole. My Uncle heard the commotion and went down to my Grandfather and said "Whatcha shootin' at Daddy?" My Grandfather said, "I just shot a big ole' squirrel……..why don't you run on down there and get him!" My Uncle happily obliged and took off running……..but stopped a little short of the big ole' hog, turned around and said "Daddy, THAT ain't no squirrel!!" 😂🤣🤣😂

One of my old buddies had a woodchuck digging up the inside of one of his grain bins. He went in there and set up a lawn chair, and sat there and waited for him to come out of his hole. He had the 12-gauge slug gun across his lap. Yup - you guessed it. When the chuck came up, he gave him one through the rib cage, and that was the end of the story for the chuck. It was also the end of my buddy's ear drums, and shooting the big gun inside the grain bin had his ears ringing for a week.
OMG I can't imagine how loud that really was. Lucky he could hear at all after that. I spend alot of time in grain bins lol.

Did not actually shoot these groundhogs with a rifle but I thought i would share the pictures of a baby groundhog in the field and a mature groundhog on a fence post.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    556.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg