Mass Shootings - Why?

We live in an era of evil and subjection. Schools need to be a haven of intellectual development for young minds not a magnet for evil expression. Young minds need to be challenged to find their niche in society and full potential of abilities whether it be driving truck, plumbing, rocket science, mathematics, medicine or scientific research - all are needed and require special talents. Being worried and defensive against a extreme attack will diminish intellectual development.

I would not want to go up against some evil fanatic armed with an AR rifle with a tiny .380 pistol. School security needs to be done by professionals and schools need to develop young minds vs. indoctrination.

Make schools hard targets.

I have read most of the posts and many of the responses. The perpetrator was full blown insane, that is obvious, someone, a friend or friends or family knew this before it happened or suspected it before he flipped and performed his evil project. It is obvious he had this planned for a while, who knows how long but he was committed to execute his sick and twisted project no matter the outcome.
This horrible event has nothing to do with gun laws, absolutely nothing, where there is a will there is a way.
This is a symptom of the broad cultural change that began 20 maybe 25 years ago. We have allowed this culture change to manifest to the point, that now we have many individuals who don't have any kind of a family life or an anchor to family or moral guidance in the form of religion that distinguishes right from wrong, it is no longer a commonsense thing and life is almost meaningless in value to a certain percentage of our population. The lack of close family ties, love and discipline is the root cause of this evil.
Just think, less than 10 years ago, being gay was not that cool in most circles, now we have legalized same sex marriage, a guy that went through hormone therapy and got breast implants and was nominated as woman of the year! Thats nuts if anything ever was.
This group of cultural misfits are the unknown insane among us, that we don't notice, they are invisible until they do something horrible, and they do it to become visible. No one listened to them in the past, no one really cared for them in the past I'd almost bet he was an outsider in almost all social situations. Spends most of his time on the Social Media platforms being brain washed to radical ideas, no real friends, alone and confused about life and his plight in it.
He was ready to act out in his twisted sick way and he knew the outcome before he stepped in that school, and he just didn't care just so long as he inflicted as much pain and suffering as he could to the most innocent among us in the short amount of time that he had.
This is not the last time this will happen, there are a lot more young people out there that are in the same dire situation this nut job was in, they are product of our new cultural norms.
If we, as a society don't try to make serious changes as to accountability for individual decisions that injure, kill or destroy other peoples lives and property soon, I see full blown anarchy and violence like we have never seen before.
I live just north of Houston, TX, its already here, let me tell you this area is a war zone, I can't tell you how many kids have been killed or wounded in the last few months, but it is significant. Someone gets killed everyday in a road rage shooting, the apartment complexes have 2 or 3 murders every night, we've had 9 cops killed or wounded since the 1st of January, these insane criminals will shot and kill you over a 20 dollar bill and the Black on Black crime is nuts they are killing as many of each other as they can it seems.
God bless us all and may sanity make a comeback soon, but I fear that will not be the case.
Are they really insane or just plain bad? There are a lot of really bad people in this world that know exactly what they are doing. What to do about those? They are few but they exist and create havoc

Here is a proposal. Couples may no longer divorce if they have children under 18. Couples who conceive must get married and remain so until child's 18th birthday. Abortion is illegal. Might lower the birthrate more than unlimited abortions, but would help some with one of the biggest issues.
That would take killing out of the school, but I think it might increase the overall homicide rate. I'm not trying to be a smart@$$ here, I'm serious.

Are they really insane or just plain bad? There are a lot of really bad people in this world that know exactly what they are doing. What to do about those? They are few but they exist and create havoc
Killing 19 children, wounding 17 children, killing 2 adults and shooting your grandma in the face in less than hour is my definition of insane. I could be wrong, I know/knew some really bad people with no conscience and no remorse, they are not capable of this in their worst case. I'm pretty sure they would have issue with this slaughter.

I've got 19+ years of LE experience in Wyoming and I agree with what Cody Adams said.

All over the country there is no accountability for violence. People committing felonies are released within hours now with little or no bond. Morals are eroding, the family unit is falling apart and God is being removed from society. I teach active shooter classes to officers, schools, churches, businesses and everyone that will take them. I'm not sure what the facts are yet but we teach all officers to go in alone; no waiting even two seconds for backup. We teach schools/citizens to fight back, barricade and or flee (run, hide, fight concepts). Many people (LE too) won't embrace the concepts because "it can't happen here" or they simply don't have the mindset to fight. Every LE officer knows of multiple people who have been a threat to the public, were detained on a mental hold or a serious crime but were let go with no treatment or no prosecution. Laws rarely get enforced any more. We had a guy steal guns at 3am, shoot rounds all over a residential area, we arrested him and he was let go with no charges. We had a kid bring two guns to school and again no charges. The public has no idea what really goes on (sometimes due to juvenile laws preventing disclosure if they are under 18) when someone is arrested but LE gets the black eye when things go wrong (although sometimes it is LE's fault and we own that).

The amount of violent media in our society (see Dave Grossman's work at killology.org or his book "Stop Teaching Our Kids to Kill" greatly contributes to these events. That along with instant stardom/fame in the media doesn't help. It is also hard to get many of our schools and teachers to embrace active shooter training. I ask all of our deputies/officers to visit each school at random times each day to have a presence; sometimes school staff calls in to complain about us being there. I could go on and on but there are many problems here. I am a fan of a cop in every school (a well trained cop).

Weather we like it or not…. It's a fact!!!! There's only two powers that control mankind. God our Father in Heaven, and Satin. God gives us free will. Good or bad. We forget even as Christians how Powerful Satin is at times. This young man chose bad.

Even without a father or a mother to guide him in the rite way, I feel he still knew rite from wrong. The key word is ( GUIDE ) We all know good parents that there children were nothing but trouble.

I knew rite from wrong as a child even though I was a product of foster homes and a youth home for boys sense I was10 years old. Didn't always do rite, but knew it was wrong. No excuses.

Hunting and fishing was my outlet. I think so many kids are missing the life lessons of the outdoors. Like others have said, the video games of killing and death are desensitizing the real consequences of taking the life of something. Remember the first deer or animal that looked you in the eyes when we didn't make a clean kill? I do and I'll never forget it.

What is the answer to this tragedy? I don't think there is just one. I think there are several I think as Outdoors men and women we have an opportunity to mentor younger children to lessons of life the outdoors and the consequences of life and death. The real and true impact of it burnt in our minds.

I know I have had opportunities that I didn't take advantage of. Wake up call for me. May God bring the peace only he can give to them all, and wisdom to us to lead the future of the young in the rite way. Gods Way!!!!! Just my thoughts.

Trying to predict when a whacktard will go on a shooting spree is impossible. Removing the rights of Americans, who have previously done nothing wrong, because they might be mentally unstable is a severe breach of rights and impossible to predict accurately.

If Politicians wanted to stop school shootings, they would carve out some pork, or just take the 42 billion for Ukraine and fund armed protection for public schools. They could do this via executive order if it was a priority. But it isn't a priority. The Politicians use these shootings as a tool to gain more power. They want to remove the right to bear arms from the citizenry at any cost. They don't care about our children or us. All they care about is power.

Trying to predict when a whacktard will go on a shooting spree is impossible. Removing the rights of Americans, who have previously done nothing wrong, because they might be mentally unstable is a severe breach of rights and impossible to predict accurately.

If Politicians wanted to stop school shootings, they would carve out some pork, or just take the 42 billion for Ukraine and fund armed protection for public schools. They could do this via executive order if it was a priority. But it isn't a priority. The Politicians use these shootings as a tool to gain more power. They want to remove the right to bear arms from the citizenry at any cost. They don't care about our children or us. All they care about is power.
Bingo!! We have the real answer.

Bingo!! We have the real answer.
Ditto I didn't like the Draft and got caught in it , if you look back if a young person didn't have a direction in life Uncle Sam gave him one . We didn't hear of this type of thing in 1960 , I know this isn't the complete why but combine it with the above post and you will be close too it.