Mass Shootings - Why?

This is so ironic, 2 seconds to twist a key and we might not be having this conversation, so sad!!!!
Exactly. All sorts of tangents being discussed on here and out in the news. When locking the doors would have at least slowed the shooter. Probably long enough for the police to engage and stop the threat. Now the reports are he started shooting prior to even entering the school. https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/nationa...cials-now-say-through-unlocked-doors/2978841/

I agree that schools could use more funding for security, but here's a possible problem. It sounds like the Uvalde School district invested a bunch of money to up the security there using some governemnt funds. They had a security guard there and he or she "confronted" the shooter. But even thought the doors and gates were supposed to be locked it sounds like they were open. If this is true then it's most likely a school administration policy breech. There are reports that the school is normally locked up but was left open so that parents could freely enter to accept awards for their children. If that is true that makes this even more tragic.
Good point. It is the end of the year and there is always a lot of coming and going. Very unfortunate.

I have only read the first page of post's so far but I had to chime in. I am so proud to be a member of this group, I am not naive enough to think that all who post here are Christians, but I am already catching the feeling that we all know what is wrong with society today that leads to these shootings. So many have been brought up in a society that has turned it's back on God, the family, personal responsibility, moral values, I could go on and on but you see where I'm going. Until a change happens that causes people to depend on God and each other, our society will continue it's death spiral of hopelessness, because someone or something will always be blamed for the situation they have created for themselves.

If I draw a timeline straight back to 1960 (I would be about 4 y.o.) and recorded the events in social discourse, the beginnings of change in education, civil unrest and generally the country losing its common bond as a people, American pride devolving to social divisions. It would fill volumes. Social media accelerated it within the last 20 years or whenever internet et al, became a thing.
Our politicians are struggling to control us, instead of talking or turning to us. In this climate, nothing will get done.
I say harden the schools, give LE what they need as step 1.
Get the kids the help they need and get control of what they see, hear on toxic sites if not just give them a flip phone and cut off the sites they are having bad thoughts generated from on the home computer.
The kids without a good family, I have no idea how to fix that without them finding purpose thru responsible friends/extended family and churches.
There are millions of situations that laws cannot answer. Are we too far down the path to go back to the year 1960 I ask myself? I'm not sure we can regain our civility for generations to come, including politics, even if we start today.

One thing people could do, if they have the time, is volunteer at schools. It's amazing how many kids come from broken families. And it's even worse for kids in foster care. That might be a even bigger need, kids in foster care. I volunteered when I could and the stories were saddening. But the flip side is the kids really respond to positive reinforcement. I was, and am scared for these kids. They really need responsible adults to help guide them. Just some attention from upstanding members in the community. Otherwise some of these kids will never bond with another person. And that's a huge danger with obvious results.

Just heard about, the "Time Line" of the First Officers arriving at, the "Scene",..
THEY were THERE for, an Hour ++ WAITING for,.. Swat !
And "some of them",.. HAD,.. AR's !
What, the Fudge is WRONG with, these Cop's ????????????
Thank God that,.. some of, the Border Patrol, Guys were, BRAVE,.. "Men" !
Was this like, the Parkland, Fl. Sheriff's Deputy's,.. Cowardly, "waiting" ,.. AGAIN ???

Last edited:
Nailed it. Lack of parenting.
Here is an example of parents ducking their responsibilities from today's Associated Press:
California parents could soon sue for social media addiction
SACRAMENTO – California could soon hold social media companies responsible for harming children who have become addicted to their products, permitting parents to sue platforms like Instagram and TikTok for up to $25,000 per violation under a bill that passed the state Assembly on Monday.

'You see, it is not my responsibility, it is someone else's'o_Oo_O

Here is an example of parents ducking their responsibilities from today's Associated Press:
California parents could soon sue for social media addiction
SACRAMENTO – California could soon hold social media companies responsible for harming children who have become addicted to their products, permitting parents to sue platforms like Instagram and TikTok for up to $25,000 per violation under a bill that passed the state Assembly on Monday.
'You see, it is not my responsibility, it is someone else's'o_Oo_O
I agree with you. But I wish Facebook instagrams tweeter and the rest if them had to pay 25000$ for every kid that used them.

BANKRUPT!

Just heard about, the "Time Line" of the First Officers arriving at, the "Scene",..
THEY were THERE for, an Hour ++ WAITING for,.. Swat !
And "some of them",.. HAD,.. AR's !
What, the Fudge is WRONG with, these Cop's ????????????
Thank God that,.. some of, the Border Patrol, Guys were, BRAVE,.. "Men" !
Was this like, the Parkland, Fl. Sheriff's Deputy,.. Cowardly, "waiting" ,.. AGAIN ???
It's not a matter of cowardice per se but tactics or doctrines. The old doctrine was to set up containment and evacuate, that was the standard and how some agencies still operate. The new doctrine is to engage an active shooter. It requires more training. There are risks to both doctrines. I wouldn't be calling the people there cowards. None of us know their orders at the time. And none of know for sure how we'd react until that time comes. I hope it never comes. What we can do is try our best to find out what happened and take measures to prevent it. I'm guilty of judging those there too. I criticized that the doors should of been locked. It's possible that the school administrators felt that a return to "normalcy" was what the community needed. I'd be happy to train school personnel, but many schools aren't ready to do that, even in Idaho. So in the mean time I'll look for other solutions.

I want to thank all of you stating your feelings, suggestions and recommendations and not one cantankerous blankety blank assault on someone. This is the kind of dialogue we need to find a solution that actually works.

Our heart is so broken over each and everyone of these tragedies that it is difficult not to let anger take you to a bad place.

Thank you LRH brothers and sisters.

Ok this thread can get ugly or we can have a thoughtful dialogue on why.

How about we start with how many of these mass shootings may have been prevented if government did their job? Many of the mass shooters were known, interviewed and cut loose even with social media posted violence statements? Red Flag laws go after folks on far less but yet the FBI, state and local law enforcement and even school officials fail to do whatever is required to restrict these known violent people? This is not a general across the board LEO bash so don't go down that road, this is directed at those who investigated and turned these people loose. We have a process that identifies high risk potential shooters, they are interviewed and yet this system fails to protect us. If someone trips a potential high risk shooter red flag, how the hell are they being turned loose?

We need answers on this egregious system failure before anything else can be considered IMO. We need to push our representatives to get answers. What corrective preventive actions MUST be taken by those Agencies and Education to stop a potential shooter?
This thread has been focusing of the school shooting in TX. However, in reading Muddyboots' post, he is questioning more than school violence.
We have seen shootings in Costco, shopping malls, nightclubs (Thousand Oaks, CA) and in concerts (Las Vegas) and in cities like Chicago.
The big issue goes beyond hardening schools (although, at this point that is a necessity).
Here, where I live, a number of years ago the government closed mental institutions and released the inmates without a plan as how to treat them.
Sigh, no, I don't have a solution.

It's not a matter of cowardice per se but tactics or doctrines. The old doctrine was to set up containment and evacuate, that was the standard and how some agencies still operate. The new doctrine is to engage an active shooter. It requires more training. There are risks to both doctrines. I wouldn't be calling the people there cowards. None of us know their orders at the time. And none of know for sure how we'd react until that time comes. I hope it never comes. What we can do is try our best to find out what happened and take measures to prevent it. I'm guilty of judging those there too. I criticized that the doors should of been locked. It's possible that the school administrators felt that a return to "normalcy" was what the community needed. I'd be happy to train school personnel, but many schools aren't ready to do that, even in Idaho. So in the mean time I'll look for other solutions.
NO, quite a few, School's in Idaho, ARE,. "Armed" it's, just NOT,.. Broadcasted to,. the Public !
Yes, sadly , I DO Question, the First Responders "Bravery" or,.. LACK, thereof ( I don't, know ). Lots of,. Mistakes were, made,.. IMO !
I've made, a citizen's arrest and another Time, I drew my Pistol on, 3 would be, Mugger's, while Fishing alone, in the Back Country and IF, I heard of Kids being, Shot at,.. I'd GO,.. IN as, Nobody, Lives,.. forever !
THIS "stuff" will, "come out" just like, the Parkland shooting when, the Texas Rangers, Investigate

Last edited: