Maroon Bells Fall Color

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Bells.jpg

Last week (9-24-07) I was in Colorado taking pictures. I wasn't alone. This scene outside Aspen is perhaps the most famous photo icon in the western states. There were 61 photographers (I counted them :)) lined up along the shore. One of them was my neighbor and photo friend, Boyd. We were fortunate that the water was almost as still as glass, color was near peak and a little snow accented the Bells.

While about 40 of us were there at dawn, the light isn't at its best until around 10 am when the sun is high enough to light up the hillside on the left. You can see a little bit of breeze had picked up by then on the lake near the far shore.

Nikon D2X
12-24 mm lens
1/60 @ F10, ISO 100

Last edited:
Len,

I've seen that pic done before where the water was sky blue. Seeing how clear it looks now, I'm wondering if those other pictures were highly altered!

Bill

Bill, I wonder if it is naturally blue when the wind is up and the water is rippled?

Speaking for the most of us in the flatlands thanks for the photo. It humbles me to think of these places like this. To think of such beauty and tranquility is heartening to the soul.

OUTSTANDING!!!! The sad thing is pictures can never do Colorado in the fall justive!! My New background!!!!

Thanks!! DM

No, I don't use one with a wide angle lens because it ends up giving the sky an uneven look.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to see the Maroon Bells in the winter time...both times of the year are just spectacular! Wish I coulda been there in the summer, but thanks for posting now I know what I'm missing!

Thanks,

Matt Roth

My photo in post #1 was taken 13 years ago in 2007.

Three months ago in September, 2020 I solo backpacked the Four Pass Loop.

It's just under 30 miles and loops around The Maroon Bells

Screenshot_20210103-184000_AllTrails.jpg

The elevation at each of the 4 passes is about 12,500 feet. And after each pass the route drops down again.

My photo in post #1 was taken 13 years ago in 2007.

Three months ago in September, 2020 I solo backpacked the Four Pass Loop.

It's just under 30 miles and loops around The Maroon Bells

View attachment 238701

The elevation at each of the 4 passes is about 12,500 feet. And after each pass the route drops down again.
Len, That is quite a trek! Did you do any high altitude prep? How many days? Starry nights? Cold temps?

Rick

I hit the trailhead at 4pm on Thur, Sept 16.

Two nights on the trail.

11,500 ft and 10,500 ft.

I got back to trailhead 50 hours later at 6pm on Fri, Sept 18.

Too tired to look for stars! It wasn't cold.

As to prep for high altitude, earlier in 2020 I hiked passes and/or summits of 10,700 and 11,000 in the Tetons three times before this trip.

One of them was an 18 mile day hike loop which gained 4,000 ft on Paintbrush Divide.

I will probably write soon about my six 2020 western mountain adventures.

I have about the same amount planned for this year.

Life is good at age 75 - - - (in 3 weeks)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.