Marlin x7vh .308 thoughts

Marlinproud

Hi guys im new here. I bought this rifle and would like to have your valuable opinion about it if anyone has experience with it.
Its got a 26" 6 groove 1:12 twist 21mm diameter barrell.
Comes with 1 piece weaver base.
Got a floating bolt head like a savage.
The Marlin X7VH in .308 review
marlin X7VH .308 review as promised! - Shooting.com.au

Any of you have experience with it and how good will it be for the longrange application?

What brand cost effective steel mounts do you suggest for a 50mm objective scope? Will I get away with medium height?

And then the scope. I like the versatile range of the Bushnell 4.5-30x50 elite 6500 tactical. Is this good enough(enough mag) for long range? What do you use?

Any of you know what bullets will perform best for longrange target and longrange hunting in this gun?

Thanks happy shootinggun)

I just got one for my son. So far the accuracy is about what I expected for the money...all $150 worth. Have a guy on the inside.:D
Three inch groups at 100 yards with 5 different bullets, from match to premium/factory and handload. Ima take a dremel tool to the stock and float the barrel. The crappy plastic stock rides down the whole thing but has pillars. Maybe bed it.
I like the trigger on this thing, really smooth and about 3lbs from the factory. I haven't touched the adjustments.

I just spent the last hour with a dremel trying to grind enough plastic away from the barrel so that a piece of paper will slide in between. It had a lot of contact and pressure asserted to the barrel. That couldn't help it's accuracy. I might be able to send some rounds down range Monday afternoon, so we shall see. The next step will be to bed the action and stiffen the fore end.

I just spent the last hour with a dremel trying to grind enough plastic away from the barrel so that a piece of paper will slide in between. It had a lot of contact and pressure asserted to the barrel. That couldn't help it's accuracy. I might be able to send some rounds down range Monday afternoon, so we shall see. The next step will be to bed the action and stiffen the fore end.
Tagging this post

I've been playing the get the marlin xl7 to shoot game also. I floated the barrel and it came down to 1-1.25" at 100 yards. Good enough for a 270 loaded for mid-range, but not good for farther out. It shoots 1/2" groups with the plastic stock if it's cold(read zero or so out) but if it's at 80-90 degrees, it would barely hold 3 inches. I've heard some are pitching the stock and going boyds, but why if floating it will work and it doesn't cost anything but time. I don't use a dremel to cut a stock channel out, I use a dowel with 40 grit or so on it. It seems to be more even with a dowel.
I wonder how it'll do this winter now that it's floated....

Bought one of the Marlin XL7 25-06 when it first appeared in Houston area and was satisfied how well it shot right out of the box. So, when the Marlin X7 HV .308 showed up at place I had bought the 25-06, bought one of them.

Having a heavy barrel and being a .308, expected it to shoot more accurately than the 25-06 Marlin. It didn't. But, after a lot of rounds down barrel trying different reloads, lapping last two inches of bore (gunsmith bore scoped it, recommended removing end of barrel due to some roughly cut rifleing there) and replacing the factory stock with one I made, now can consistently shoot under a 1" 100yd 4 shot group with the rifle.

Got to shoot the marlin a little today. After floating the barrel it was shooting a little better then an inch at 100 yards with issued M118LR and a load of 150gr SST and varget. When I get the chance to do some load development I think it'll do a little better.

What size rings did you end up going with? I have that same gun and I have been looking at the same exact scope for a while now (and trying to save up money) but i dont know if i need high or medium rings. Im planning on getting leopold mark 4 30mm steel rings and the mediums are 0.8" and the highs are 1.1"

please help me out.

What size rings did you end up going with? I have that same gun and I have been looking at the same exact scope for a while now (and trying to save up money) but i dont know if i need high or medium rings. Im planning on getting leopold mark 4 30mm steel rings and the mediums are 0.8" and the highs are 1.1"

please help me out.

I got the Burris signature zee rings 30mm. They come in medium height with inserts to give me an extra 20moa. Fitted them to the bushnell 4.5-30x50 and everything seems fine. Using Nosler cc 155gr shooting 0.5" or less groups at 100yds with this gun is the order of the day.

And thats with a completely stock x7vh 308, with winchester 150gr soft points from walmart, a bipod from walmart, and my hand as a rear rest. Thats a 7/16" group btw...

Imagine what will happen when i get a new stock to free float the barrel, some match ammo, and rear sand bag...

Anybody still a member that owns one of these? A friend just bought brand-new unfired 22-250 and we are wondering what steps any of you have taken since owning one of these? We are going to free float right now. What else have you guys done?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.