Mark V Deluxe: use for semi custom build or buy new?

Hey all. First, I want to say thanks for all the help on my last thread about a 6.5 creedmoor. I ended up going with a bergara hmr pro, but due to work I haven't been able to get it set up yet, but will hopefully have it out at the range in the next week.

My current dilemma is what to do with my 1978 Mark V Deluxe in 300 wby. I have not been able to get it to group since I bought it used a while back and have tried just about everything to get it to shoot. Recently I noticed there's a slight inch long bulge in the barrel a few inches down from the crown that I suspect is the cause of my problems. Despite struggling to get it to group well, the first shot from a cold bore would constantly hit the same place, so I was able to take two dall sheep and a moose with it. But I'm tired of dealing with such a finicky gun and I have found that a blued gun with a nice wood stock is not the best at handling the sharp rocks and harsh weather Alaska offers. So I was thinking it might be time to replace it with something more suited to non-motorized hunting in Alaska. In my last post some people mentioned the idea of getting a semi custom rifle, which started getting the gears turning about doing a semi custom Mark V build. The only problem with that is then I would have a beautiful deluxe stock without a home… The other option is to get it rebarreled and sold and use the funds to buy a new hunting rifle. What would you do, semi custom build, or fix the old beauty up and sell to someone who can appreciate her?

Have many people used a mark v action for a semi custom build? If so, would you mind sharing what components you used and what smith did your work?

I wish I knew more about the semi custom Mk V my friend bought second hand. What I do know is that it was a German Mk V action and the barrel is chambered in 300 RUM. It shoots the 210 ABLR into quarter inch groups at 100yds using N 170 powder. It was the rifle that inspired me to buy the Mk V I got.

I'd build a semi custom with it. I bought a shot out mark v Alaskan just for the action to do a build on. They are very strong actions. If you decide to go that route, I may be interested in your stock depending on the barrel contour.

I wish I knew more about the semi custom Mk V my friend bought second hand. What I do know is that it was a German Mk V action and the barrel is chambered in 300 RUM. It shoots the 210 ABLR into quarter inch groups at 100yds using N 170 powder. It was the rifle that inspired me to buy the Mk V I got.
Sounds like a nice rifle. I am definitely leaning the semi custom route as I can get exactly what I want and it will most likely be more accurate than a factory rifle. Thanks.

I'd build a semi custom with it. I bought a shot out mark v Alaskan just for the action to do a build on. They are very strong actions. If you decide to go that route, I may be interested in your stock depending on the barrel contour.
I am certainly leaning that way. If you don't mind me asking, who did you use for your mark v build? It's a Japanese made deluxe stock, the barrel is a #2 contour at 24 inches long. The stock has the slight barrel pressure point a few inches from the end of the stock. The stock has a few nicks and scratches, but it's still a looker in my opinion. If you are interested I can try to figure out how to post pictures tomorrow afternoon.

I haven't done the build as of yet. I'm still gathering all the parts I need. I don't think your stock will work for me as my barrel is a heavier profiled barrel.

Hey all. First, I want to say thanks for all the help on my last thread about a 6.5 creedmoor. I ended up going with a bergara hmr pro, but due to work I haven't been able to get it set up yet, but will hopefully have it out at the range in the next week.

My current dilemma is what to do with my 1978 Mark V Deluxe in 300 wby. I have not been able to get it to group since I bought it used a while back and have tried just about everything to get it to shoot. Recently I noticed there's a slight inch long bulge in the barrel a few inches down from the crown that I suspect is the cause of my problems. Despite struggling to get it to group well, the first shot from a cold bore would constantly hit the same place, so I was able to take two dall sheep and a moose with it. But I'm tired of dealing with such a finicky gun and I have found that a blued gun with a nice wood stock is not the best at handling the sharp rocks and harsh weather Alaska offers. So I was thinking it might be time to replace it with something more suited to non-motorized hunting in Alaska. In my last post some people mentioned the idea of getting a semi custom rifle, which started getting the gears turning about doing a semi custom Mark V build. The only problem with that is then I would have a beautiful deluxe stock without a home… The other option is to get it rebarreled and sold and use the funds to buy a new hunting rifle. What would you do, semi custom build, or fix the old beauty up and sell to someone who can appreciate her?
Welcome to the team sir.

I went semi custom with mine. It turned out great. 270wby shooting 150 Bergers @ 3200fps
C463EB0F-75F9-4608-B967-C7641F6F1569.jpegD4BB00C2-A9CF-4AA2-AFFD-2D417FF8B526.jpeg01691D4D-5A9C-4F2B-979F-B26F7FEA0193.jpegB017F8BC-B370-44D3-8225-0CE6642CBB6B.jpeg

My .270wby barrel was shot out. Now have a new Kreiger in same caliber. Excellent action. Look out mule deer!

It really depends on how attached you are to that 300 Wby..? That caliber is one of the best ever, and as you already know, will easily handle anything in Alaska!! However, since you say it has a "bulge" in the barrel, I certainly suggest "NOT" shooting it any further as is!! Something definitely went wrong at some point in that rifle's nearly 50-year lifespan that caused that to happen. If you basically like the rifle, I'd send it back to Weatherby and have it rebarreled (I'd go with a 26") and have them recheck everything. Weatherby's are guaranteed to shoot sub-moa right out of the box, so I'm sure that will solve your grouping issues. I might add that the MK V Deluxe wood stocks are much tougher than you think. I have three Wby's (2-340's, and a 270) that I have hunted with throughout NA, including Alaska, over the past 35 years, on back pack hunts, motorcycle hunts, boat hunts, and in harsh weather conditions (rain, snow, ice, sleet, extreme cold, extreme heat). I've fallen down rock slides, fallen off motorcycles, slipped into creeks, and other nasty mishaps with my Wby's on my shoulder. In all cases, nothing more than a small "beauty mark" resulted on the wood stock. In my view, it just gave the stock more personality, and a small reminder of my hunting stories. My Wby's aren't "safe queens", they are my hunting companions, and I would never consider selling them. Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts