Mark 5HD 5-25x56 moa or NF NX8 4-32X50 F1 moa

I currently only have the 32x in my possession. My other 32x and 20x is on back order.
Based on the little bit of research I have done, the reticle is pretty much useless at 4 power isnt it? You need to illuminate it and use it like red dot sight on low power?

Based on the little bit of research I have done, the reticle is pretty much useless at 4 power isnt it? You need to illuminate it and use it like red dot sight on low power?

I would say it is a pretty good reticle at low power vs some of the others I have used but I can't remember the last time I took a shot at low power. I have tested the illumination on low power and it would be great if you were in dark timber still hunting.

Probably not.

Kris did you test them at the same power? If not that is not apples to apples. I am sure you know that. With a FFP ret it is very simple to just dial down.
Comparing the mk5, xtr3, nx8 @ 18pwr, obviously the reticles are more usable in the two scopes at max, but nx8 is very usable above 8x. FOV obviously goes to NF as it's at bout half its mag range, then Burris and last leupy. Edge to edge clarity goes Burris, Luepy, NF. Center reticle is very clear on all, but the xtr3 has really very good glass compared very well next to my two comrades atacr very little difference. Illumination hands down to NF as other two none, but No bleeding and 2 dif colors, works very well. Turrets are all very good, just different feel. Parallax: Burris, leupy, NF. Dof: same result. My Burris did fail tho, so durability is suspect on big lightweight high recoil magnums. Took it off and put nx8 back on. zeroed with two shots, next day spotted an antelope at 728y, all that was visible was head after he laid down. Dialed 3.9 mil, held .4 mil for wind and took his eye out, running 20x for that shot. For long range hunting at know distances, where you have some time to set up and get your parallax tuned in, dial and shoot, all of the scopes will work. The NF can double as a small spotter almost. If you don't HAVE to run FFP, the the swaro x5 3.5-18 actually has better glass, parallax, eyebox compared to the Burris and Mk5hd, in same wight class at 30oz, it's def physically larger though, turrets are really tall. Mine has the 4wxi reticle which is okay, I'd prefer something a little thinner/precision oriented. If they sold a FFP version it'd be top tier. I haven't done a low light comparison, but I'd think it'd go Swaro, Burris/Leupy, nx8. I think once Burris get the illuminated version out, it'll be a great optic sub $2K. Hopefully they get mine fixed, I'll put it on something with a little less recoil. All my hunting rifles run 6.1-7.8# before optics, all run Magnum or lapua case head, so it'll be tricky, I think the 257 saum will be the one for it.

Comparing the mk5, xtr3, nx8 @ 18pwr, obviously the reticles are more usable in the two scopes at max, but nx8 is very usable above 8x. FOV obviously goes to NF as it's at bout half its mag range, then Burris and last leupy. Edge to edge clarity goes Burris, Luepy, NF. Center reticle is very clear on all, but the xtr3 has really very good glass compared very well next to my two comrades atacr very little difference. Illumination hands down to NF as other two none, but No bleeding and 2 dif colors, works very well. Turrets are all very good, just different feel. Parallax: Burris, leupy, NF. Dof: same result. My Burris did fail tho, so durability is suspect on big lightweight high recoil magnums. Took it off and put nx8 back on. zeroed with two shots, next day spotted an antelope at 728y, all that was visible was head after he laid down. Dialed 3.9 mil, held .4 mil for wind and took his eye out, running 20x for that shot. For long range hunting at know distances, where you have some time to set up and get your parallax tuned in, dial and shoot, all of the scopes will work. The NF can double as a small spotter almost. If you don't HAVE to run FFP, the the swaro x5 3.5-18 actually has better glass, parallax, eyebox compared to the Burris and Mk5hd, in same wight class at 30oz, it's def physically larger though, turrets are really tall. Mine has the 4wxi reticle which is okay, I'd prefer something a little thinner/precision oriented. If they sold a FFP version it'd be top tier. I haven't done a low light comparison, but I'd think it'd go Swaro, Burris/Leupy, nx8. I think once Burris get the illuminated version out, it'll be a great optic sub $2K. Hopefully they get mine fixed, I'll put it on something with a little less recoil. All my hunting rifles run 6.1-7.8# before optics, all run Magnum or lapua case head, so it'll be tricky, I think the 257 saum will be the one for it.

My X5 was the best low light of all the glass I tested. The vid is on YT. I know it may be petty but I will never give Burris another penny. I called to ask a question about a year ago and was chastised for long range hunting. The guy on the phone didn't have an answer when I asked why they sold and marketed the Eliminator if they were against long range hunting. Anyways too many other options to deal with that for me.

I have several Leupold MK5's. They are, in my opinion, tough to beat. I also have a Nightforce ATACR, so I have experience with both. The Leupold's run a bit lighter, which for hunting rifle, is nice!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.