Mark 5HD 5-25x56 moa or NF NX8 4-32X50 F1 moa

Calfarmer

I'm wanting to know from users of both on likes and dislikes, I already know the physical differences but I'm going back and forth on the two and have owned older models of both brands and been happy with both, so I'm open to either just want to hear from others that have used both and can give honest answers and not be biased to one brand or the other.
Thanks guys

I have both and have used both extensively. Both have performed flawlessly for me but I prefer the nx8.
The moar reticle is my personal favorite and I find the nx8 easier to get behind when shooting from less than perfect hunting type situations.

Once again both are are fantastic and track true with very similar glass to my eye.

Thank you for the feedback, its hard decision! I have never used either reticle style so either will be new to me, my nxs's always ran the np's and liked those over the previous Leopold options
How do you compare turret zero stops? You like the mark 5 locking option? I do on my vx5hd's but never had other zero stops in the past

I know I will probably get hammered for saying this but the L scopes do not have a great track(no pun intended) record in the tracking department so I can not talk myself into trying one over scopes like the NX8. The NX8 is quickly becoming my favorite scope. I did spend some time with the M5HD 3.6-18 with no problems but I still wouldn't trust it over a NF.

Nx8 is typical bullet proof nxs stop with the 4 screws and clutch under the cap... proven and easy.

The leupy also works well and is faster since it's only taking the cap off and putting it on "0". Button works well locking it down and it will never move without you pressing it in to dial.

rfurman24 nailed it on the tracking....
HOWEVER, I think they may have finally got it right with the new mark5hd line.... I've put a LOT of rounds down 2 different scopes. They are the gunwerks reticle version and neither of them have had any issue at all.

Nx8 is typical bullet proof nxs stop with the 4 screws and clutch under the cap... proven and easy.

The leupy also works well and is faster since it's only taking the cap off and putting it on "0". Button works well locking it down and it will never move without you pressing it in to dial.

rfurman24 nailed it on the tracking....
HOWEVER, I think they may have finally got it right with the new mark5hd line.... I've put a LOT of rounds down 2 different scopes. They are the gunwerks reticle version and neither of them have had any issue at all.

The one I tested did work with no issues but I tested in on a Clymr. I did not do any serious tracking testing just cranking turrets and shooting. The problem for me is I see nothing it has that the NX8 doesn't so NF for me. There are some guys in PRS that swear by them.

No comparison with the 2 against each other but have lots of nxs and a mark 5 hd which I got last year and I really like it. No tracking problems and the glass is amazing. I'd take it over my nxs. I'd like to try a nx8 but dont think that is going to be in my price range anytime soon. I do like the weight of the mark 5 line also.

The nx8 is a decent scope, I personally wish they'd stuck with 6x erector because anything above 24x is darkened, parallax constantly needs adjustment and DOF isnt the best. I have the 4-32x50 milC version. The glass for the most part is pretty good a step up from nxs but not atacr. I personally believe the mk5hd has the edge on glass rating and low light performance, but you're comparing a 5x erector vs an 8x. I swapped out my nx8 for the new Burris xtr3 3.3-18x50, and I loved everything about that scope, parallax and eyebox wer quite forgiving, glass is noticeably better than the NF. However after 30 round through a braked lightweight 300 norma improved, the reticle was shifting when I indexed the power ring between + -. This rifle is pushing 230s @ 3000 fps, there's a lot of punch there and with the brake, it's a recipe to kill optics. I just sent it back to Burris yesterday. Remarkably I put a nice whitetail down at 250y 5 rounds prior to me noticing the issue. Lucky.......if a guys willing to pay 2000 for a nx8, I say hunt for a used atacr for 2500 or so. The man who built my rifle recommends 3 scopes March tactical, NF ATACR, and Khales K line. He also tested may swaro X5 against his atac and found it to hold zero, there are a lot of spendy optics that haven't, you'd be surprised. Big braked light magnums with the recoil pulse and the the brake action jarrs a scope very hard, almost like hitting it with a hammer.

The nx8 is a decent scope, I personally wish they'd stuck with 6x erector because anything above 24x is darkened, parallax constantly needs adjustment and DOF isnt the best. I have the 4-32x50 milC version. The glass for the most part is pretty good a step up from nxs but not atacr. I personally believe the mk5hd has the edge on glass rating and low light performance, but you're comparing a 5x erector vs an 8x. I swapped out my nx8 for the new Burris xtr3 3.3-18x50, and I loved everything about that scope, parallax and eyebox wer quite forgiving, glass is noticeably better than the NF. However after 30 round through a braked lightweight 300 norma improved, the reticle was shifting when I indexed the power ring between + -. This rifle is pushing 230s @ 3000 fps, there's a lot of punch there and with the brake, it's a recipe to kill optics. I just sent it back to Burris yesterday. Remarkably I put a nice whitetail down at 250y 5 rounds prior to me noticing the issue. Lucky.......if a guys willing to pay 2000 for a nx8, I say hunt for a used atacr for 2500 or so. The man who built my rifle recommends 3 scopes March tactical, NF ATACR, and Khales K line. He also tested may swaro X5 against his atac and found it to hold zero, there are a lot of spendy optics that haven't, you'd be surprised. Big braked light magnums with the recoil pulse and the the brake action jarrs a scope very hard, almost like hitting it with a hammer.
I wonder if the 2.5-20 would perform better?

Probably not.

Kris did you test them at the same power? If not that is not apples to apples. I am sure you know that. With a FFP ret it is very simple to just dial down.

Probably not.

Kris did you test them at the same power? If not that is not apples to apples. I am sure you know that. With a FFP ret it is very simple to just dial down.
it obviously wouldnt be as dark at max power...parallax would probably still be touchy.

I am not sure what you are saying but in the case of the NX8 the exit pupil will be identical at 20x for each so the theoretical light transmission would be the same. The only difference is in good light conditions the 20x can't go to 32x.

I am not sure what you are saying but in the case of the NX8 the exit pupil will be identical at 20x for each so the theoretical light transmission would be the same. The only difference is in good light conditions the 20x can't go to 32x.
Which NX8 do you have?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.