Mark 5 3.6-18 vs NF NX8 2.5-20

xrangerx

'm trying to choose my next scope and these are checking most of the boxes. Wondering what you all would go with?

Price, weight, size and zoom range (I'd get the 3.6-18x44), clarity of glass, FOV, the locking turrets. Personal history with the brand (hasn't let me down in many situations in the field and on two-way ranges) over multiple different products.

Some are concerned about Leupold's tracking foibles in the past; I'm comfortable with this scope and that they've fixed that.

Leupold is local to me and I haven't had any luck with their higher tier scopes.

I bought an NX8 4-32 and have been happy. The eye box is sort of picky compared to my Razor HDII but better than the Mark 6 3-18 I had before that.

I picked up a Mk5 prior to the announcement of the new NX8. The Mk5 has nice turrets (crisp adjustments, capped windage, locking elevation, revolution indicators), is pretty light, and surprisingly bright to my eyes.

The 35mm tube is dumb to me, and limits mounting options. Leupold's cost increase for illumination is crazy, but I picked up a new non-illuminated for ~$1,450, which is substantially less than the NX8.

The parallax is finicky to me on the Mk5, but I would guess DoF will be similar on the NX8, just based on geometry (I'm no expert).

I've read several say that the NX8 turrets are on the mushy end, relatively speaking, but can't say from first hand.

Reticles are personal and not really worth trying to compare between us.

In the end, I think we're just lucky to have sooo many great choices in optics nowadays. Let us know what you decide.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.