Mark 4 Leupolds, which one

KurtB

Building a dedicated cross canyon rig for hunting here in Colorado. Some shots could be less than 50 yards(same side of canyon in heavy brush) but most will be 300 yards to 700 yards. Going on a heavy 7mm Rem Mag. I can have either a 4.5-14x50 or 6.5-20x50. Kind of leaning duplex on 14x and TMR on the 20. Any experiences with these two scopes and which you would run for this application are appreciated. Thank you

I am using the 8.5-25x50 MK4 w/TMR on my 338RUM pictured below, I also just received the brand spanking new MK4 M5 Locking Turret Leupy (6.5-20)which features mil/mil adjustments, FFP & 34mm tube. This scope is an absolute BEAST, I can't wait to get swapped out on my RUM.... Anyway, the adjustments on the MK4 are solid thus far, repeatability is a non-issue, works just fine. On your particular rig, I would probably recommend the 4.5-14 although, once bitten by the LRH bug, you are going to want to stretch it's legs a bit, the 6.5-20 is IMHO a more viable option once you start to get out to the 1k range... There are a lot of folks who use the 14x with good results at 1k, but I can't make myself comprehend why they limit the ability to "reel" that target/critter in... As the old saying goes..."when you need it & don't have it, you'll sing a different tune..."

Attachments

• 338 RUM (6).jpg
    338 RUM (6).jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Well riddle me this,

What is the difference between the Leupold Mark IV (6.5-25x50) Long Range and Extended Range? Obviously the price! And I am not sure if I am sold on the illuminated reticle!

I have the 6.5-20x50 with TMR and it's worth EVERY penny.

Mines on a 308 and I'm bustin clay pigeons (5" targets) at 600yds. Never would have tried it with any other scope.

I got mine from opticsplanet and it's mounted with a Game Reaper 20 MOA one piece mount.

Attachments

• remi 700 with bell carlson stock 010.jpg
    remi 700 with bell carlson stock 010.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 102
While I don't have a Mark 4 with exposed turrets, I do have a Leupold Mark 4 Precision rifle with covered turrets its a 4.5-14x40mm. I had to do it on a budget and my rifle (.30-06 Ackley Improved) is a mid to long range rig (out to 800yds) with most shots being between 200-500yds. I'm also on a budget, and this fits it. However if I can ever get a heavy/ large caliber long range riflle, I'd love to get one with exposed turrets.

Here are some photos of my rig..

077.JPG

Dans guns II 019.jpg

I highly recommend this scope for guys on a budget, as well as the VX-III Long range target scopes as well.

Dan

Also in my experience the lighted reticle wont work for hunting. Once it was too dark to see the reticle and i turned on the lighted reticle it made my pupil dialate and I could not see the deer in the backround.

but thats just me.

I can see everything I need to see WELL past legal shooting light without it.

I've got a 3.5/10x40 TMR on my FN TSR 223. What i really like about the TMR is the cross hairs do not connect. Maybe it's just me with my 65 yr. old eyes, but it enables me to really get on and concentrate on the target.

Why a a leupold? Get a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 or a 6.5-20x50 with target turrets and you'll have much better glass and awesome tracking. I have owned a bunch of both and the zeiss is superior in my opinion.

Why a a leupold? Get a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 or a 6.5-20x50 with target turrets and you'll have much better glass and awesome tracking. I have owned a bunch of both and the zeiss is superior in my opinion.

I would buy American. Especially nowadays when American workers need it the most.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.