Marine Tex for Scope Base Bedding

ravot22

I need to bed a scope base.

Anyone have any issues with Marine Tex expaning or contracting?

It will be on a hunting rifle that may be used freezing or barely below freezing weather. Then again could be used to shoot hogs in 70 weather.

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks again.

I know several gunsmiths who absolutely swear by it for bedding rifles. Applied properly to bed scope mounts the layer is going to be so thin that I would not be worried about expansion/contraction being a problem at all.

Be very careful to avoid getting it in your screw holes or on your screws though or you may find yourself deeply regretting it should you ever decide to change mounts.

When I bed rails I use an epoxy mixed with atomized steel powder (available from Brownells) but more importantly first I lay some 220 or 400 grit paper on the action, abrasive side up, and pass the base back and forth on it to try and get rid of any high spots. This also roughs it up so the epoxy will adhere to it. Marine tex is just as good as any other.

Then you apply a good release agent to the action but not the rail, as well as the screws and holes. Apply the epoxy and let it start to gel, then put the rail on and very gently sart to tighten evenly.

When you screw down the base use minimal torque on the screws so there is no stress whatsoever in the rail. Screw it down just tight enough to squeeze out the resin and get good contact with the action.

After it has set, you can finish tightening to your desired torque.

I need to bed a scope base.

Anyone have any issues with Marine Tex expaning or contracting?

It will be on a hunting rifle that may be used freezing or barely below freezing weather. Then again could be used to shoot hogs in 70 weather.

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks again.

Devcon steel 10110 is what I use for scope base and action bedding.
Doesn't run. Very controllable.

Devcon steel 10110 is what I use for scope base and action bedding.
Doesn't run. Very controllable.
I've tried several and it's my favorite.

When I needed to add weight I've also used the Devcon Liquid mixed with a heavy dose of lead shot or tungsten powder. Hollow out the forearm as much as possible and then fill it with the mix.

It also works great just to stiffen up a cheap factory stock.

Got that right!
Lead shot and Devcon. Thats exactly what I did to the butt of my BR rifle. Needed a balance for that log of a barrel.

I have only used it in marine applications but, do not think parts will separate with Marine Tex short of a grinder. Don't get it anywhere you don't want it.

Good luck

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.