Marine snipers dump .308 Win, adopt .300 Win Mag

This may be irrelevant, but: more range+larger caliber/heavier bullet=more energy=more propellant burned=greater muzzle blast. Is that not an issue? Also, in situations where sound suppression is desired (is that real or just Hollywood?) wouldn't greater muzzle blast=a bigger can=more weight and more difficulty in handling? I was a squid, so there's a lot I don't know about military riflecraft. Just have a hard time imagining Carlos Hathcock, crawling through tall grass, dragging a 20lb., tricked out, rhino rifle. JMHO

This may be irrelevant, but: more range+larger caliber/heavier bullet=more energy=more propellant burned=greater muzzle blast. Is that not an issue? Also, in situations where sound suppression is desired (is that real or just Hollywood?) wouldn't greater muzzle blast=a bigger can=more weight and more difficulty in handling? I was a squid, so there's a lot I don't know about military riflecraft. Just have a hard time imagining Carlos Hathcock, crawling through tall grass, dragging a 20lb., tricked out, rhino rifle. JMHO

In today's technologically advanced military, I don't think it's an issue anymore. There's a lot of enabler support to get infantry guys to where they need to go.

Honestly standing next to them I can't tell much of a difference between my brother's 6.5 Creedmoor and my .300 Win Mag when they are suppressed with the same suppressor.

Additionally the type of mission that Hathcock did would now be carried out by drones due to the suicidal nature of what they asked him to do. Plus the heavy barreled Winchester he carried weighed around 14 pounds anyway so it's not like he did it with a featherweight hunting rifle.

Having been a military Sniper, Sniper Team Leader, Sniper Section Leader and Sniper Employment Officer until a few years back I will say yes to this. Our rifles keep getting heavier, along with the loads we can carry.
The good news is that so should the effectiveness. Keep in mind that the rifle isn't the most effective weapon a Sniper carries, I would tell you it's his radio.

Honestly standing next to them I can't tell much of a difference between my brother's 6.5 Creedmoor and my .300 Win Mag when they are suppressed with the same suppressor.

Additionally the type of mission that Hathcock did would now be carried out by drones due to the suicidal nature of what they asked him to do. Plus the heavy barreled Winchester he carried weighed around 14 pounds anyway so it's not like he did it with a featherweight hunting rifle.

Both of these statements can be true:
The first is if the can was rated (meant for) the .300 and slapped on the lesser caliber/cartridge. Even though there is a bigger hole out the end if it were meant for the .300 it will have greater internal volume.
The second part of this would likely also be true, no Commander in the Army is going to let a single man do anything on his own. They would NOT be willing to accept the risk. A few years back in Afghanistan they wouldn't allow a 3 man Sniper Team "outside the wire" without a security team in tow.

The bottom line is this-
the .300 WinMag will give some of the most capable Snipers in the world even more lethality. They will more than likely not try to reinvent the wheel and go with the MK248/MK248 mod 1 ammo we in the Army have been using for years (and yes as stated in an earlier post there were pressure issues with some of the ammo. Look at the velocity in the shortish barrel- no free lunch).

In today's technologically advanced military, I don't think it's an issue anymore. There's a lot of enabler support to get infantry guys to where they need to go.

Not being facetious brother, but I wish this were always true. Though most Army Snipers are grunts, we still have to remain clandestine. Sneaky-sneaky and getting close to an objective with "support" don't always go hand in hand. I've humped some heavy loads for some long distances and negotiated some horrible terrain to get into places I needed to be.

Not trying to overrule this thread so I will just sit back and read. Always like to hear what others thoughts on these topics are.

Back to the subject...I used a 30-06 as a real Scout in Nam. IMHO no cartridge has had more research done than this 30 caliber and it should be the baseline cartridge for infantry.

As for close range sniping out to 1,000 meter's, My old age and memories say no cartridge can compete with a hunter and a modified hunting rifle. Thus all snipers should be able to choose their weapon of choice and then have it accurized by military armories. Remember great snipers do one thing great as do their spotters, they read the wind extremely well and have infinite patience for the shot.

Back to the subject...I used a 30-06 as a real Scout in Nam. IMHO no cartridge has had more research done than this 30 caliber and it should be the baseline cartridge for infantry.

As for close range sniping out to 1,000 meter's, My old age and memories say no cartridge can compete with a hunter and a modified hunting rifle. Thus all snipers should be able to choose their weapon of choice and then have it accurized by military armories. Remember great snipers do one thing great as do their spotters, they read the wind extremely well and have infinite patience for the shot.

Not being a *** when i ask this...but does the military have fake scout snipers now? All the ones I've met in my BCTs seem to be squared away dudes. Don't get a lot of loving though since everything is so focused on the company and battalions now a days. Enablers get shitted on. Yes, even though snipers are 11B they are still considered enablers.

The issue with personalized rifles is there's no standard operating procedure or method of instruction to get a sniper section or platoon all on the same page. It would be a nightmare trying to prepare a young / new sniper for training with the unit or getting them set up on the battle field. Also, at the company and battalion level, property management, maintenance, ammunition, and training requirements would be awful if everyone's piece of equipment was different. We can't even get it right, now, with the same weapon systems. I couldn't even imagine if guys had custom rifles with each with their unique needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.