Marine Corps selects Kestrel Applied Ballistics as SSBC

DocUSMCRetired

Just some good reading for you guys. The Marine Corps has chosen the Kestrel Applied Ballistics model as the Scout Sniper Ballistic Computer.

"Kestrel has proudly supported Marine Corps Scout Snipers with rugged environmental meters for more than 15 years, starting with the original Kestrel 4000 Weather Tracker, through to the Kestrel 4500 with Applied Ballistics selected on this contract," said Nielsen-Kellerman (NK) CEO Alix James. "We are constantly working to develop solutions that make our warfighters more effective without weighing them down with unnecessary gear. We are honored that this selection confirms that we're building what our soldiers need." NK is the manufacturer of the Kestrel Weather & Environmental Meters.

U.S. Representative Patrick Meehan (PA, 7th District) said, "The Marine Corps' decision is great news for our warfighters. And ‎having visited the Nielsen-Kellerman facilities in Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, and met the hard-working men and women who create this innovative product, the Marine Corps announcement is good for jobs and growth in Pennsylvania as well."

The Kestrel 4500 with Applied Ballistics is a 4-ounce, hand-held meter that combines accurate wind, direction, temperature, pressure and humidity readings with a built-in advanced ballistics calculator and bullet performance database. The Kestrel outputs elevation and wind holds calculated for the precise weapon, round and target characteristics, allowing snipers to put first shots on target at 1000 yards and beyond.

The 887 Kestrel meters purchased will be supplied in a complete field support kit containing the following:
Kestrel Shooter's Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics ITAR Desert Tan Tactical
Kestrel 4000 Series Screen Protection Kit
Pelican 1015 Black Case
Mystery Ranch Molle Soft Case

All Kestrel Weather Meters are designed and built in Pennsylvania, and the Kestrel Kit selected for this contract award is fully Berry Amendment and BUY American Act compliant. Broader adoption of the Kestrel with Applied Ballistics is anticipated as other services are presently evaluating its performance and capabilities.

nVisti, LLC – MARCORSYSCOM Selects Kestrel with Applied Ballistics to Support United States Marine Corps

MARCORSYSCOM Selects Kestrel to Support United States Marine Corps -- BOOTHWYN, Pa., July 22, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

Doc thank you for the easy access and the support you give us. We appreciate you. The 4500 AB is as good as it gets. I am sure the military or anyone that buys one will love it.

Always happy to help! Just trying to make sure you guys feel comfortable with your decisions to use our products, and that you have the answers you need to use them well!

I see the Corps went with the Mystery Ranch Soft Molle case which appears to be large enough to hold the Kestrel within the Pelican case. I don't use a Pelican case but would like a Molle case that's the right size to hold my Kestrel 4500NV. Anyone have some suggestions? I plan on using the large Maxpedition Tactical Gear Retractor with the Molle case. Maxpedition Tactical Gear Retractor Snap Ring RL1K. Maxpedition Backpack Accessories.

Thanks... DocB

I see the Corps went with the Mystery Ranch Soft Molle case which appears to be large enough to hold the Kestrel within the Pelican case. I don't use a Pelican case but would like a Molle case that's the right size to hold my Kestrel 4500NV. Anyone have some suggestions? I plan on using the large Maxpedition Tactical Gear Retractor with the Molle case. Maxpedition Tactical Gear Retractor Snap Ring RL1K. Maxpedition Backpack Accessories.

Thanks... DocB

We have one: https://www.accuracy1stdg.com/store/itemDetail.cfm?prodID=647

This is a big deal. Congrats!
Thanks!

Congratulations to all of you for this contract!
Thanks!

That the USMC selected this as an official piece of kit says a lot. Glad I bought one a couple months back, makes me look really smart, lol.

Congrats on the contract- nice to see the Marine Corps use a quality piece of gear. It would also be nice to see them stop building 19 lbs. .308's with $3500.00 scopes.

I assume you worked closely with Marine Snipers during the testing / implementation phase of the Kestral. Have you heard any serious talk about a primary sniper rifle chambered in something other than .308?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.