March, Tangent Theta, Schmidt Bender, Leica

I sure wish some of the more top shelf glass makers offered a simple reticle. I'm an optics junkie and probably put more value on my scopes and binos than is necessary. But at the same time I'm limited with which brands I actually use. I can't do busy reticles and prefer a simple duplex, the thinner the better and a solo red dot illumination in the center.
I can do a ballistic reticle, if it's very basic and doesn't have too much going on. Obviously I dial my yardage so the turrets need to be just right. I only really hunt with my rifles so my needs are not like that of a long range competition shooter.
I have tried most every higher end scope out there that has a suitable reticle…..I can't tell much of a difference between the ones I currently use….a Swaro Z8i, S&B Exos and Polar, and a Leica Magnus. Each one has its moments but they all perform equally in 99% of the conditions.
I did buy a March not ago and really wanted to like it…..it was light weight and very well made. The glass was excellent but the eye box was so finicky and erratic I sent it back.
It seemed impossible to use quickly after sitting behind any of the others I have. So I bought another Leica and never looked back.

I sure wish some of the more top shelf glass makers offered a simple reticle. I'm an optics junkie and probably put more value on my scopes and binos than is necessary. But at the same time I'm limited with which brands I actually use. I can't do busy reticles and prefer a simple duplex, the thinner the better and a solo red dot illumination in the center.
I can do a ballistic reticle, if it's very basic and doesn't have too much going on. Obviously I dial my yardage so the turrets need to be just right. I only really hunt with my rifles so my needs are not like that of a long range competition shooter.
I have tried most every higher end scope out there that has a suitable reticle…..I can't tell much of a difference between the ones I currently use….a Swaro Z8i, S&B Exos and Polar, and a Leica Magnus. Each one has its moments but they all perform equally in 99% of the conditions.
I did buy a March not ago and really wanted to like it…..it was light weight and very well made. The glass was excellent but the eye box was so finicky and erratic I sent it back.
It seemed impossible to use quickly after sitting behind any of the others I have. So I bought another Leica and never looked back.
Exactly!
I'm a hunter. I could care less about a Christmas tree reticle. If a long range shot presents itself, I dial. No use for the busy reticle. Close range shots, I don't need all the clutter in a reticle covering up an animal.
As far as illumination. Just a center cross or dot. Why in gods name do I want an entire reticle to light up (even on the lowest setting) and blurring out the animal in low light conditions.

Last edited:
Ryno111…
The rifle shown with the ZCO420 is a Cooper 52 which has a medium length action. I have also used the 420 on my Bighorn long action. I did not experience any eye relief, clearance, or material differences in comb height requirements compared to my Nightforce ATACR which was formerly mounted on both rifles. A one piece pic rail and ARC10 Mounts(1.1") is used on both rifles. As Euler stated, the ZCO420 is a short scope, and and may pose mounting issues with some long action set-ups. This should be checked out.
Shown, ZCO420 mounted on my Bighorn LA
D188F4B7-42EE-41BC-8CA8-A59FC5CF64A9.jpeg

@Bullmark @shooters I'd challenge you to try one for a while. I used to hate them but then I started shooting more and obviously found it useful, now it doesn't bother me at all while hunting.

Exactly!
I'm a hunter. I could care less about a Christmas tree reticle. If a long range shot presents itself, I dial. No use for the busy reticle. Close range shots, I don't need all the clutter in a reticle covering up an animal.
As far as illumination. Just a center cross or dot. Why in gods name do I want an entire reticle to light up (even on the lowest setting) and blurring out the animal in low light conditions.
Like this?

72C81EE3-FDCB-48D2-895F-B91C78305746.png

What are the options folks have found for looking through some of these scopes? I live in Missoula and don't know folks that own these, and from brief looking I have done there aren't local dealers. I own a handful of ATACR's and would love to do some comparisons With my own eyes and see if some of these fit my gun well (LH, not a full pic rail on a deviant hunter).

Last edited: