March or NX8

BEEMAN

Need some advice on which scope to put on a 280 AI. Both scopes here in Canada are within $2-300 of each other. Unless I go with the 2.5-25x42, it is less than a nx8.

Any problem going with the 42mm?
How’s the MTR-5 reticle? Looks good to me

Slight advantage for features goes to nx8. 50mm and has illumination. March advantage is weight.

Will I notice field of view and light gathering ability to be less with the 42mm? Because if not I’m leaning towards going with the 42mm non illuminated. I currently have a March 2.5-25x52 on my 25-284 and it’s a great scope. Found it used and only thing I don’t like is that is has a fine crosshair reticle. Thanks

86alaskan

Consider the new Vortex Razor LHT 4.5x22. excellent reviews and comes in around the same weight as the march, a a much lower price point.

BEEMAN

Consider the new Vortex Razor LHT 4.5x22. excellent reviews and comes in around the same weight as the march, a a much lower price point.
I would, but aren’t those only available in FFP? I’m a SFP guy or I’d look at the Mark 5 as well. Want to keep the weight down, or I’d consider a Kahles too. For what I’m wanting to do I think the March or nx8 are the two best suited for me. Looked through a few FFP and can’t get used to it. All my scopes are 50,52 and 56mm. So not sure if guys think a March with a 42mm would be a handicap.

86alaskan

Yeah, they're only ffp, but the reticle has been specifically designed to be a good compromise for dual purpose use. As far as 42mm being enough, I've read a lot about the NF making little to no real usable difference in the field. The 50mm weighs more, and apparently that's about it. I was looking hard at those scopes as well, and went with a 3-15x50mm LHT for my 308 and will be getting the 4.5-22 LHT for my 300wm/338rum

Wedgy

The 42mm March gets dark in the higher powers, say above ~20x in the evening low light compared to the 52mm.

ObiWanKannoli

I swapped a 4-32x50 NX8 onto my element, absolutely in love with this thing. People complain about the eye box on them, and I do agree that it was challenging on my LR308. However, on my bolt gun I have zero issue getting into the scope quickly.
20210918_145530~3.jpg

BEEMAN

The 42mm March gets dark in the higher powers, say above ~20x in the evening low light compared to the 52mm.
Good to know. I think either scope will suit me fine. I like the weight of the March. Think I’ll get whichever one I can find the best price on.

coues1

I have the NX8 2.5-20X in second focal plain on my 25 Creedmoor and really like it. The glass is good and I absolutely love the reticle. You can’t go wrong with that scope in my opinion.

Darr

Huntnful

One thing to keep in mind is the March's exposed windage turret vs. the NX8's capped windage. The NX8 is a good scope for sure, but it's not a GREAT scope for $2k IMO. I had a 4-24 VX6-HD and the only thing that was better on the NX8 was the crispness of the turret. I just recently went from the NX8 to the Mark 5, I know it's FFP, but there is nothing better on the NX8 than the Mark 5. To me anyways...

All that being said, I would run an NX8 tomorrow and not complain about it. It's a good scope. There is just better out there for sure.

BEEMAN

Thanks. Just found and bought a used nx8 this morning. Found a 4-32x50 F2. I also like my 4-24 vx6hd. But like you, wish the turrets were more crisp. I’m sure I’ll be happy with it. Appreciate all the feedback guys.

Huntnful

Thanks. Just found and bought a used nx8 this morning. Found a 4-32x50 F2. I also like my 4-24 vx6hd. But like you, wish the turrets were more crisp. I’m sure I’ll be happy with it. Appreciate all the feedback guys.
I'm sure you will be too!!

A little tip that was nice for me, figure out were the parallax is crisp at 100 yards, and color that specific little white line in with a red sharpie. It'll save you a lot of time resetting your parallax 👍

BEEMAN

I'm sure you will be too!!

A little tip that was nice for me, figure out were the parallax is crisp at 100 yards, and color that specific little white line in with a red sharpie. It'll save you a lot of time resetting your parallax 👍
Good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Tgunz64

I have a rifle on order being mounted with the 4-32 FFP. Now I’m looking at the 2.5-20 2FP to mount on my trusted 30-06. Has a Viper HS on it now and I think it’s crap. Hazy on higher power no matter what the outside conditions are.
Since I hunt in woods often I think the 2FP would be a better choice for this gun. But still have the magnification if I need to take it out farther

LongBomber

You buy the one on CGN? Saw one there a few days back. To my eye the vx6hd seems to give more pop on the colors, but I have never had a leupy track like an NF.