March Optics 2.5x - 25x Hunter scope

DMP25-06

Do any of you members of LRH.com have any experience with the MARCH OPTICS line of rifle scopes ?
I understand that they have an excellent reputation in long-range target shooting .
Specifically , I am curious about their Hunter model , 2.5x by 25x , which is a compact , lightweight , scope suitable for long-range hunting , as it has 100 moa of internal elevation and windage adjustment , in .25moa clicks , with 25moa per turret revolution , available with capped adjustment turrets or with exposed tactical adjustment knobs .
Any information or opinions will be appreciated .
Thank You ,
DMP25-06

I've just got the 2.5x25x42 Tactical for my 26 Nosler. I bought it thinking it would be the perfect compromise for a hunting scope. The glass is great and the turrets very crisp when you adjust them. The side focus is a little touchy but that's not a major thing to get used to.

As far as being repeatable it's to early for me to tell, still in the painstakingly slow process of load development with the rifle.

Hope that helps some.

Chris

I have a pair of the 3-24x50 March scopes on my hunting rifles and I'm very happy with them. I agree with winmagman, great glass and great turrets; the parralax adjust is kind of touchy.

Can yal go into more detail on the parallax being touchy. I have been interested in this optic for a while now and all feedback has been positive. How does this scope compare to a 50mm objective at last light near max power, do yal feel the 42mm obj is enough for a scope with a max magnification of 24X?

I haven't used one of the 42mm objective scopes, or the 2.5-25 the OP asked about, so my comments are with respect to the 3-24x50.

The parallax is set up to focus down to a very close distance (10yards IIRC). The result of this is that you turn a lot in the range from 10-100yards, then from maybe 200-infinity you have a very short turn to adjust. That can make fine adjustment very touchy from 200 up since a small movement covers a lot of range. It's not bad once you are used to it, but if you are going from another scope where you make bigger movements in that range, you will probably overshoot on the adjustment.

As far as light, if you are really at last light, you are going to lose something at max magnification no matter what scope you are using, and the difference from 42mm to 50mm will be noticeable. If you lower the magnification, you will get more light, and at lower magnifications the difference between 42 and 50 will not be noticeable. Overall, I would say that the March scopes are very good in low light, but that's a fairly subjective area.

do yal feel the 42mm obj is enough for a scope with a max magnification of 24X?

While I haven't tried it yet, I believe you would have no problem taking a shot at 24x during legal hunting hours. Now if you're in really thick timber at last light or hunting coyotes at night you'll need to crank the power down.

Chris

Oh, one other thing I should add: I've seen a few complaints that the eyebox for the 42mm scopes is too tight, i.e., that you have to get positioned just right. The guys that have complained about that say there is not an issue with the 50mm scopes, which apparently have a more forgiving eyebox. I haven't tried the 42mm scopes myself, so I can't say whether I think that is a real issue or not. For myself, as I've gotten older and my eyes have gotten weaker, I find that I'm willing to put up with the extra size/weight to get the benefits of 50mm+ objectives and higher magnification ranges.

I have two March 2.5-25 tactical models. First is a 42 mm and second is 52 mm. Would not have bought the second if I was not pleased with the first. In my opinion they are probably the best lightweight hunting scopes you can buy. No other scope has all the features without excessive weight. Tracking (I ve tested this thoroughly to 50 MOA on a surveyor's rod) and turret feel is as good as it gets. Glass is great but the parallax adjustment is a bit touchy as has been mentioned. Eyebox is fine. Mine are illuminated with MTR 4 reticles. I am also a Nightforce fan but limit these to tactical or target rifles due to the weight.

I have two March 2.5-25 tactical models. First is a 42 mm and second is 52 mm. Would not have bought the second if I was not pleased with the first. In my opinion they are probably the best lightweight hunting scopes you can buy. No other scope has all the features without excessive weight. Tracking (I ve tested this thoroughly to 50 MOA on a surveyor's rod) and turret feel is as good as it gets. Glass is great but the parallax adjustment is a bit touchy as has been mentioned. Eyebox is fine. Mine are illuminated with MTR 4 reticles. I am also a Nightforce fan but limit these to tactical or target rifles due to the weight.

Have you compared them side by side as low light sets in? Is there any difference in the two in this area?

I bought the 52 mm when they came out because I felt it would be better in low light but I have not tried to compare them side by side in low light. The 52 mm has to be better but it would be interesting to see just how many minutes you get for the extra money.

Thank you all for the responses and information that you have posted .
I noticed that March only offers a 5 year warranty . Has anyone had a problem that had to be dealt with by their warranty department , and if so , were you satisfied with the results ?

I dropped my rifle this past winter in New Mexico. The 13 lb. rifle fell from shoulder height and landed upside down on the top turret which struck a rock. The turret was cut and I returned it to March with a full explanation that the damage was due to my fault and not a problem with the scope. They repaired it promptly with no charge, not even return shipping. When I got the scope back I did a full tracking test (something like 20 measurements to 50 moa up and back) with near perfect results. With a 20 moa rail I have 68 moa of vertical available from my 250 yard zero.

I have 1 for a year now and love it, its 2.5-25x42 tactile.
plan on ordering another one down the road.
I wouldn't worry about the warranty on it after the 5 years is up they will take care of you. that is some export law, got that from kelbys when I ordered mine, im sure bullets.com will say the same

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.