Maps for mobile devices

djfriesen

I'm looking into options for electronic maps for use in the field. I came across GAIA GPS and was wondering if anyone else has used it and, if so, what your reactions were.

Are there other products that allow topo maps to be loaded onto a smart phone or tablet and taken in the field?

My brother said I could use my Iphone6S if I downloaded the maps before we leave instead of buying the 650T. There are 5 or 6 options which is the best for a backpack hunt Southern Colorado?

I recently found the US Topo Maps app. The free version (non-caching) seems good. Anyone use the pro version and have feedback on how the maps saved and functioned without internet access?

www.topo-gps.com has USG topo maps dont know yet if it shows private land but I think so.

Thanks for the heads-up. I will check it out.

TOPO Maps US App. Allows you to download the map to your phone and it will work offline out of service area. Very handy as a quick reference and/or backup map.

Onx is absolutely the gold standard. Up to date landowner overlays, Blm, block management etc. downloadable for areas without internet, orientation toward the direction of travel. Simply awesome. I do the subscription three months of the year, but you don't lose your downloads when you cancel. Very nice.

onX Hunt: Hunting Maps, Offline GPS/Nav & Weather - I love everything about this app. I wouldn't leave home to go hunting without my rifle, just as I wouldn't leave home without this app. I no longer question boundaries or land access, and the ability to store offline maps comes in handy when you're planning a trip out in the boonies.

Well in 2017 here were the cons on onx. You have to know exactly where you are going BEFORE you go so you can download the map online on wifi. Even if you have signal you cannot download maps on data on your phone. The smaller radius the map the more detail, the 10 or more mile map do not show enough detail. So if you loaded the wrong section back home you cannot download one in the mountains. So if you are not seeing anything and move 5- miles but still in same unit you are screwed. Our Elk hunt in 2017 it was hot, hunting in short sleeves above 12,000 ft. If you go to the same place every year and you can pin your drop camp you are fine. If you download a bunch of extra maps to be sure, I hope you have a large storage capacity phone. My Iphone 6s back then was 64 gig my 8 now is 256gig but I still did not renew onx.

I have GIA and ONX.
Been using GAIA for a few years and ONX just recently, but my hunting buddy has used ONX for several years.
I use GAIA for off road vehicle mapping and ONX for hunting now.
ONX has maps/data and information more pertinent to hunting conditions.
GAIA has some of the same mapping options but ONX is definitely better for it's intended use.
The two can be used interchangeably but they definitely have their preferred target.
If you use GAIA it is better on IOS systems than Android

Darrell

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.