Manners Stock with Badger Chassis....would you bed Recoil Lug??

Ingwe

Waiting for it to arrive so in the mean time I'm just wondering if I should have the recoil lug bedded or leave it as is. Manners said that it isn't necessary but that it can't hurt either.

Since it is a metal recoil lug up against an aluminum chassis, I am wondering how much if any bedding compound will fill or even be able to squeeze in between and fill any void that might be present? The chassis works as a V-Block which touches the avtion minimally...the bottom of the action doesn't touch anything.

Of course I would scuff-up the chassis surface a bit but other than the voids created by the scuffing, do you think that there would be any if I just left it as is and just torqued it up and left it at that?

I imagine that it would be the same situation if you bought any stock using an aluminum bedding block...

Just throwing it at you fellas for your input:)

I know stockys have done some tests and they say there is no benefit to bedding the aluminum block but I always do just makes me feel better you could just try with out bedding if it shoots to your expectation then I would just run with it if not then try bedding not sure if this helped but good luck

Ing, like yoteslayer posted, perhaps shoot it first and bed if you're not satisfied with the grouping. Like Manners said, it can't hurt. If you're not experienced in bedding, possibly have it done, that's too pricey stock for a first attempt at bedding. Also check with Manners for their recommended torque for the screws. Good luck

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if I should have the recoil lug bedded or leave it as is. Manners said that it isn't necessary but that it can't hurt either.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't put a whole lot of emphasis on the testing(?) which Stocky's has discussed since they sell bedding block stock and one of the benefits listed is 'no bedding required'.

But to the same extent, your requirements for accuracy, consistency and repeatability are what count. You may be satisfied with the results with the bare block or you might feel that you need the confidence of having the action and recoil lug bedded properly and stress-free. I bed all chassis and blocks no matter who makes the stock because as stated, it does not hurt when properly managed.

While not directed at you specifically, I do not advocate amateurs practicing on expensive stocks because they've seen a couple of YouTube videos. There is a lot more finesse to bedding than what the 'tubers let on. If you lack the experience but want to start bedding your own stocks, get a couple of take off stocks (not the crappy factory ones) to practice on. Get all the materials in order, on hand then write out the process list of the steps so you don't forget anything, like hardener in the epoxy... Cover anything you don't want to get epoxy on, it can get out of control. Practice makes a better understanding of the process than simply reading an excerpt or watching a video.

Best of Luck with your project!

Quite honestly, I wouldn't put a whole lot of emphasis on the testing(?) which Stocky's has discussed since they sell bedding block stock and one of the benefits listed is 'no bedding required'.

But to the same extent, your requirements for accuracy, consistency and repeatability are what count. You may be satisfied with the results with the bare block or you might feel that you need the confidence of having the action and recoil lug bedded properly and stress-free. I bed all chassis and blocks no matter who makes the stock because as stated, it does not hurt when properly managed.

While not directed at you specifically, I do not advocate amateurs practicing on expensive stocks because they've seen a couple of YouTube videos. There is a lot more finesse to bedding than what the 'tubers let on. If you lack the experience but want to start bedding your own stocks, get a couple of take off stocks (not the crappy factory ones) to practice on. Get all the materials in order, on hand then write out the process list of the steps so you don't forget anything, like hardener in the epoxy... Cover anything you don't want to get epoxy on, it can get out of control. Practice makes a better understanding of the process than simply reading an excerpt or watching a video.

Best of Luck with your project!

I'm going to take you advice trust me;)

I don't see how bedding the lug will do much good anyway since there isn't much contact surface there, and the rest of the chassis is a V-block with essentially NO contact.

I replaced a HS Precision stock which had an internal bedding block, plus bedded to my specific action, with a Stocky's LR stock with their internal aluminum bedding block. I did not bed the Stocky's aluminum bedding block, just dropped in my barreled action. There was no loss in accuracy.

The barreled action is a blueprinted Remington SA 700 with a Remington Varmint contour Kreiger barrel.

This combination is exceptionally accurate.

Somewhere . . . I read that someone is machining existing mini-chassis to specifically fit a single action. I just tried phoning the shop I thought was the machinist but they did not answer yet. Gotta try again later. This was interesting to me because I also have a Manners adjustable stock with a mini-chassis holding up a Defiance Hunter action.

While it is true that one must scrutinize a company's claims of competence, it would be folly for the company to make claims that couldn't be upheld in the real world. These days word gets around too quickly and broadly to be a liar.

just dropped in my barreled action. There was no loss in accuracy.

Now, suppose we took a dozen accurized M700's and performed the same trial. Do you suppose that the results would still be 100%? Maybe, maybe not. Doubtful in my opinion and this without examining the term 'exceptionally accurate'. A hunter might have one set of parameters while a world class benchrest shooter would certainly have another.

Somewhere . . . I read that someone is machining existing mini-chassis to specifically fit a single action.

Two things to bear in mind:

Tom Manners has publicly stated that any such machining of his stocks automatically voids the warranty. So if something goes wrong with the stock at a later date, you can't go back to Tom.

This machinist has a tendency to be a little more generous with his claims and descriptions, but all perfectly acceptable as far as legalities are concerned. It's a trend often found in a multitude of advertising descriptions for many products.

While it is true that one must scrutinize a company's claims of competence, it would be folly for the company to make claims that couldn't be upheld in the real world. These days word gets around too quickly and broadly to be a liar.

This may be true to a certain extent in small circles but I've only seen it be completely successful when an entire group goes after the violator en masse. This has been seen on a couple of occasions when the folks on Snipershide make like a pack and take down the offender permanently. The rest of the minor offenders simply lay low until the storm passes and they can resume their work. Changing the company name, website, phone number and e-mail might serve to cover their trail.

Regards.

Now, suppose we took a dozen accurized M700's and performed the same trial. Do you suppose that the results would still be 100%? Maybe, maybe not. Doubtful in my opinion and this without examining the term 'exceptionally accurate'. A hunter might have one set of parameters while a world class benchrest shooter would certainly have another.

My rifle shoots into .2. That is not world class benchrest accuracy. It is very good by any real world standards, though. That's what I'm going by.

Would the results prove to be 100% - I doubt it. There are flaws found in production runs of almost anything. I never made an exclusive claim. I defined my own experience. Since I wrote that I have run into a few others with similar experience. Then, last Sunday, it didn't let me down, again.

Two things to bear in mind:

Tom Manners has publicly stated that any such machining of his stocks automatically voids the warranty. So if something goes wrong with the stock at a later date, you can't go back to Tom.

This machinist has a tendency to be a little more generous with his claims and descriptions, but all perfectly acceptable as far as legalities are concerned. It's a trend often found in a multitude of advertising descriptions for many products.

The shop that is doing the machining this work on mini chassis is LRI out of Sturgis. I haven't seen a bunch of bad work come out of their shop. If Tom Manners says he voids warranty for this kind of machining - I don't blame him. Warranting the work of others would be unwise in almost any case. The purpose and skill of a shop like LRI is validated by its customers.

This may be true to a certain extent in small circles but I've only seen it be completely successful when an entire group goes after the violator en masse. This has been seen on a couple of occasions when the folks on Snipershide make like a pack and take down the offender permanently. The rest of the minor offenders simply lay low until the storm passes and they can resume their work. Changing the company name, website, phone number and e-mail might serve to cover their trail.

Regards.

It's still folly.

If an unethical operator begins again with the same set of ethics, his world will not remain whole. I believe there is a Biblical quote that goes - (Paraphrased) Be sure your sin will find you out . . .

When you die you leave your family, your fortune and your reputation behind, for better or for worse. How do you want to be remembered? is a question not asked by enough . . .

Cheers.

My apologies for the format of my above comments. I just proved I'm inept at utilizing forum formats.
Sorry about that.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.