Manners folding stock for backpack hunting?

The Manners folding stock is rock solid but adds a good bit of weight and takes up a good bit of space in the smaller pack I used it in. I now run an XLR magnesium folder that runs about 30 oz on an 18" carbon barrel 6.5x47 that fits in my pack very nicely. As for a DIY folder try an ATI folder and modify it. HS Precision also makes a folding stock and might not have the 10 month plus wait time of a Manners, I just got one I ordered in August.
Wedgy, what is your setup with the xlr and what are your thoughts? Weight?

Tagged in here. I almost started this thread the other day. Very intrigued on what guys are doing in the diy department as well. Anyone have pics of their setups to share? How about listed weights with each of the setups with barreled action and scope included. Ive been getting more interested in the XLR magnesium folder with a 20-22" barrel…seems like a great setup.

10 lbs. w/o the bipod. The can is 11 oz with the brake so you can realistically do a 8-9 lb chassis rifle with folder if you desire. XLR, MDT, and MPA all make lighter versions. Mine is a MDT LSS XL modified to cut weight, it took a bit of time on my cheap mill to remove weight but man, this little rifle is awesome. The 22" barrel will be replaced with a 18" I have on the shelf. Likely swap it out this summer so I break it in

PRC.jpg

Wedgy, what is your setup with the xlr and what are your thoughts? Weight?
It's Savage SA with a carbon barrel and March 2.5-25x52 that comes in at 8lb 8oz but it seems very front heavy, I went to a 3 port brake because the recoil was throwing me off and couldn't spot my shots and added rear the bag rider(photo). That shouldn't happen with a 130 grain pill at 2,900 fps.
I hike in thru some areas full of california yuppi sierra clubbers so they think the barrel sticking out is fly fishing rod, I put a little cap on it so it saves me some grief.
The small things add up the weight fast, steel mag, folding adapter, m-loc rails etc. I'm happy with it
xlr2.jpg
xlr1.jpg

Those are so good to see. Very nice. I'm in the same boat in central Idaho with yuppies breathing down my throat at every trailhead. Looking to cut down on my profile, literally and figuratively. Heavy timber, brush, and wolf huggers crawling all over these hills. I also work in the mountains often and can sometimes hunt after work 🤫 Not to mention the overwhelming need to suppress has got me all in on a chassis setup soon. Too many questions I have for you guys. Brent feenix wedgy what actions and what cartridges? Twist rates change for shorter barrels? Too many questions…

Brent feenix wedgy what actions and what cartridges? Twist rates change for shorter barrels? Too many questions…
Mine is Big Horn Arms SR2 LA in .30 LARA (similar to 300 Jarrett except with 37.5° shoulder angle). It has a 27" 1:9" barrel 3G #6, sorry no plan on a shorter barrel at this time.

Last edited:
Those are so good to see. Very nice. I'm in the same boat in central Idaho with yuppies breathing down my throat at every trailhead. Looking to cut down on my profile, literally and figuratively. Heavy timber, brush, and wolf huggers crawling all over these hills. I also work in the mountains often and can sometimes hunt after work 🤫 Not to mention the overwhelming need to suppress has got me all in on a chassis setup soon. Too many questions I have for you guys. Brent feenix wedgy what actions and what cartridges? Twist rates change for shorter barrels? Too many questions…
Bighorn tl3. I have 3 heads so I can do any short action cartridge. Currently it's a 6.5 prc. 7.5 twist. 22"'and a 18" in the prc for use with a suppressor. I never shoot without one usually. Heck inbuilt a tc pistol I'll be using more soon. Been shooting 500 and plan to go to 800 tomorrow