Manners folding stock for backpack hunting?

Timnterra

I tote my rifles around in a backpack a lot of the time and most of them have at least 26" of barrel some up to 30"+. I don't like my rifle muzzle sticking into trees and brush while I'm rucking in. I do have a muzzle cover on but it is a pain to get branches and crap down the back of your neck because the rifle snagged it. This has got me thinking about a folding stock. I don't like the feel of metal chassis rifles especially for hunting so that pretty much narrows it down to manners. Anyone with a manners folding stock care to share their experiences the good, bad and ugly?

They're kinda a double edged sword for backpacking, they certainly reduce length while folded but they add a fair amount of weight. I've started using a Kifaru gun bearer and it carries the rifle with the muzzle just above head level. Wish I would have bought one years ago.

I like the kifaru gun bearer for the actual hunting but I don't like it while rucking into the area I intend to hunt. It isn't very comfortable to have the rifle under my arm while walking long distances.

I like the kifaru gun bearer for the actual hunting but I don't like it while rucking into the area I intend to hunt. It isn't very comfortable to have the rifle under my arm while walking long distances.
I never use the gun bearer under my arm like it's designed. I use it to strap the rifle along the side of my pack. Tripod and chair on one side and rifle on the other balances just fine.

I bought a folding adapter made for an ar, I plan on trying to modify the green marbled hogue stock on my Rem acc. I measured and there is just enough "meat" in palm swell to split then mill to recess stock adapter and epoxy aluminum threaded inserts for screws, might epoxy base of hinge adapter as well

I like your diy thinking I've been looking at AK folding mechanisms to see if one might fit in the grip of an McMillan mc3 stock. Which folding mechanism did you get?

I like your diy thinking I've been looking at AK folding mechanisms to see if one might fit in the grip of an McMillan mc3 stock. Which folding mechanism did you get?
I will have to look got the idea a while ago and havnt followed through but it was like $60 buck

This is another idea I seen for those short barrel suppressor lovers

Screenshot_20210109-190226_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210109-185442_Chrome.jpg
Don't know legality of this but pinned barrel extension to thread suppressor into and still hit 16.5" with suppressor

The Manners folding stock is rock solid but adds a good bit of weight and takes up a good bit of space in the smaller pack I used it in. I now run an XLR magnesium folder that runs about 30 oz on an 18" carbon barrel 6.5x47 that fits in my pack very nicely. As for a DIY folder try an ATI folder and modify it. HS Precision also makes a folding stock and might not have the 10 month plus wait time of a Manners, I just got one I ordered in August.

I really like the manners folding stock. Yes it's heavy. But very well built and lockup is tight. The CS is also a very nice stock. But I did not like the super short cheek weld. I got rid of that one. Very cool concept. Just not practical for me.

Have you seen rucks like this? Where you lower the rifles center of gravity in the ruck?

1624021690453.jpeg

Pro and cons is what this game is all about and everyone has an opinion. Mine, I struggle with why folks have an issue with a chassis. I hunt all winter with a chassis and would not have it any other way now. I run a folder, an eberlestock team elk pack, and have a highly adaptable system. QD mounts, arca rails, etc that allow for hands free carry and extremely quick shouldering for close in stalking encounters etc.

I think most people get hung up on a chassis feeling cold on the bare hands and cheek. Most of the systems available today have optional rubber coated cheek risers and grips. That eliminates about 90% of the complaints. If you can carry a rifle bare handed in well below freezing temps, my hat is off to you, I don't. I usually have a light face covering as well but the textured check riser doesn't bug me at all.

So, in the end, if you eliminated a chassis due to the grips etc it might be worth looking at the coated options.

Tagged in here. I almost started this thread the other day. Very intrigued on what guys are doing in the diy department as well. Anyone have pics of their setups to share? How about listed weights with each of the setups with barreled action and scope included. Ive been getting more interested in the XLR magnesium folder with a 20-22" barrel…seems like a great setup.