Manners EH1 question

Ckleeves

Had a question for guys with EH1's. Anybody only able to get two (magnum) cartridges in the magazine with this stock?
My buddy and each have one, his a 700 action and mine a LPA Razor, both with Wyatt's magazine boxes. Neither one of us can get 3 cartridges down.

I have tried 3 different followers, a few different springs etc. I did have to sand the box down to be able to get the floor plate to close without touching when I had the rifle built. I would really like to be able to hold 3 in the mag.

I dropped the BA into a McMillan Game warden and it holds 3 (almost 4) just fine. Same with a factory stock. So is this unusual or is the "belly" depth of the EH1 just a little shallow?

You may need to go with the canoe style BDL metal. I went with that to enable 3 338RUM in the mag. works great so far. it probably only hangs down below the stock line 1/8" or so, but that little extra allows the spring to compress into it and allow that extra mag round.

Yea, I'm sure a canoe style bdl would do the trick. I don't really want to go that route just because I already have Hawkins bottom metal ceracoated to match. But it may be my only option. I just haven't ever heard anyone mention problems with getting 3 down in this particular stock which seems like if it was a common issue it would be mentioned all over the place.

Only need 1 shot....

2+1 of my .300RUM rounds with Wyatt's extended center feed box in one of mine.

I can fit three .280AI rounds in mine easily, but that could make all the difference in the world.

Have you tried a flat follower?

300 win mag, MBE2 box. There was quite a bit of tension on it between the floor plate and the action, so I took a belt sander to it and knocked off material untill I had a tension free fit. Both the Hawkins bottom metal and factory Remington had tension.

I tried a stamped rem follower, machined rem follower and the Wyatt's extended follower.

If your follower is going to the bottom, what you've got is all you are going to get from that combination. I think you can use the wider ultra mag magazines with a 300 Win Mag. That might give you another round. You can call or email Wyatt and ask them. They are usually very helpful.

I have a SAUM with a Wyatt center feed and a Manners EH3 stock. 2 is all I can get in the magazine.

That may work I hadn't thought of that. I'll call Wyatt's and see what he says.

Did you ever try a MBE4 in your Saum or just go straight to the centerfeed?

I haven't measured them, but does anybody know if a Wyatt's box is deeper then a factory Rem box? It just seems odd that the box was to deep to begin with, unless a factory box is shallower and that's what Manners builds to.

The McMillan has room to spare on a unaltered Wyatt's box and fits 3 down no problem.

I think it is the center feed mag boxes that won't allow another round down in the mag. I had a Wyatt's magazine in a 300 rum that would fit 3 down but when I went to a center feed mag I can only get 2 now.

Mine isn't really the magazine box it's a stock issue. 3 down in a McMillan, 3 down in a factory Remington stock, 2 down in the Manners. If I am stuck with 2 down I will probably go to a center feed though.

Yep. In both a McMillan game warden and a factory Rem stock. Same bottom metal, follower, mag box, barreled action, etc. I don't have a centerfeed box, I'm using the MBE2.

How deep does the floor plate sit in the stock? Might try and shim it out with some small washers to see if that fixes the problem. May need to bed the floor plate in and get it to where the metal sits right

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.