Manners Bedding question

DEATHGRIP

I am bedding a Manners EH1 and asked them (Manners) what they suggested for bedding material. They said Marine Tex. I have no experience with it. My question is will the same release agents work, does it like to shrink or expand. Does it need a super roughed up surface to stick? The pillars were installed from Manners already.
Any help or tips from experience would be greatly appreciated. I have done numerous with Devcon and Acraglas. Just a little apprehensive with a new product to me.
Dave

If you're unsure just use the devcon. I've used it in several manners stocks and works fine. But to answer your question, the same procedures work for marine tek.

Richard

Bigngreen

I've read several say the same as you about marine tex being easier to use, what do you like better about it. I've got two pounds of devcon left and may try marine Tex after those are gone. Maybe before. Just curious. Thx

Richard

Marine Tex flows better than Devcon putty but is thicker than the Devcon epoxy so it still stays put but has a nice flow to it when you first stick it all together, easier to clean up and just seems nicer to handle. I buy it in the 2 oz kits so I just dump the little hardener in, mix it and dump it all in then throw the mess away, I hate having larger quantities laying around getting hard spots and getting weird. Marine Tex has the lowest shrinkage

Thanks for that info big. That is one thing about the devcon, it's pretty tough sometimes getting it squeezed out without what seems like excessive pressure. I'll have to try the marine Tex.

Richard

Manners likes Marine Tex because it has no metal in it. They think metal filled epoxy absorbs heat easier/faster than Marine Tex. They say the common epoxy's used for bedding start softening at about 190°.

I've been using Marine-Tex mostly. I've used the rapid set more often than the regular stuff and they both handle quite easily. I used Devcon the other day because I'd run out of the Marine-Tex and I'd say it worked just as easily. It was a little runnier but not enough to cause me to not use it. I bought some more Marine-Tex rapid set and bought the 5 oz. tubes of Devcon. I like the rapid set because you can remove the barrel in an hour and it's hard as a rock.

Best bedding compound I ever used was Pro Bed 2000 by Score High Gunsmithing, www.scorehi.com . Non-compressible, little to no shrinkage, micro-balloon based and easy to use. Pam cooking spray with olive oil is my release agent of choice and I have had zero issues with it.

I used to like marine-tex when mixing up larger batches for use on frp boats, but with smaller batches like rifle bedding demands, you'd be best to weigh it out, or the mix proportions can be off.

Don't be dissuaded by the name. Sure it doesn't sound all high tech but MarineTex gray is superior in strength to all other products used for bedding. The most important property is compressive strength. How much will it support? 14,000 PSI. Once cured no chemicals will affect it. This is why most stock makers and military marksmanship units that build their own rifles use it exclusively. Devcon Titanium has slightly higher compressive strength but is not easy to use at all and doesn't last very long in the can. For release hard waxes polished bright give the most accurate mold impressions.

If and when another product that is better suited for bedding rifles comes up you can bet I will be using it.

... MarineTex gray is superior in strength to all other products used for bedding. The most important property is compressive strength. How much will it support? 14,000 PSI.

If and when another product that is better suited for bedding rifles comes up you can bet I will be using it.
... you should consider using Pro Bed 2000 then, as the compressive strength of the microballon-based matrix is up to 60,000 PSI.

In my experience I've seen far too many epoxy mixes in industrial/engineering applications fail more to faulty mixing that due to whether one used product A vs product B. But I've also removed and repaired more faulty marine-tex repairs from previous repair attempts, also due to faulty mixing proportions.

But as with anything, one's mileage will vary. If one can mix m-tex correctly - heck use it, it is a good product for sure. But the best? Nope, not for me ...

Even now for my marine and industrial applications, we have settled on simple 1-to-1 or 2-to-1 mixes, resin to hardener ... and have yet to have a bond failure. For my rifle bedding uses, I'll stick with Pro Bed.