Manners ARCA/RRSOAR slipping (not clamping tight enough)

brianacnp

New manners LRH stock with their arca rail and RRSOAR anvil 30 ball head. Doesn't clamp tight enough (gun will slip out). Had previous ARCA rails that clamped in securely with no issues. I don't see any way to increase clamp tension (like say an atlas bipod setup with adjustable nut). Any thoughts? Can't see to find anything in the manual for the tripod to help. Can't post video for some reason. Thanks Brian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
I see that the lever won't turn in full release due to base design. Did you try with it 1/2 released? If not, you may have to disassemble. I would call them first. You should be able to remove your rail easy enough and send it with your upper ball assembly back to them. PITA when you just bought this.

tighten down the screw on the lever handle. Also, your Arca plate is out of spec, change that if you want to keep the Anvil 30 as is. I had several Arca plates that are different sizes, I removed them and sold them off. I wanted the ability to change all my rifles onto my Anvil 30 without issues like that.

No screw on the level handle. After looking at it more it has washers inside to set the tension. I tried 2 other brands of arca rails and they fit tight. A friend has 2 manners arca rails just like mine and all 3 had different tension from being able to slip back and forth to being completely secure. So I think you were right the manners arca (or at least the one I have) is out of spec. I will reach out to manners tomorrow.

I attempted to turn that but wouldn't turn either way. I wasn't sure if it was pressed on and afraid to break it off. If it has the ability to turn I will be a little more aggressive. Thanks.

After looking at my RRS, it's actually pinned on both ends and uses shims to set tension. If yours clamps tight on 2 other rails, then most likely the Manners rail is out of spec as you said.

This is a common problem with RRS. I love their stuff but they claim their rail sizes are correct and everybody else is wrong. I have dealt with ARCA plates on the photo side for 15 years. Even some excellent manufacturers will sometimes not work with a RRS lever clamp.

The only thing I can figure is RRS errs on the machining side of a couple thousands plus on their rails and others that won't work err a couple thousands under on ARCA spec.

ARCA Swiss is the camera company that came up with the ARCA rail. I have an old ARCA camera that has an ARCA Swiss rail on it. I think I will break out the calipers and measure the original Arca Swiss rail, a Wemberly rail, and an RRS rail. There are a lot of companies that make ARCA rails. Wimberly pre-dates RRS in the ARCA business but is too small to work with an RRS lever clamp.

None of this is a problem with a screw clamp of course.

Before anybody jumps on me I have a ton of RRS stuff. It just has bothered me that a quality manufactured rail will sometimes not work.

The bottom line is there is not an easy solution.

I agree. One major factor is also coating, depending on who's doing it , it may be undersized for proper coating and then not fit properly. I've had this happen on custom barrels for my DT not fitting with my Cerakote job.. fits all other barrels but ES Tactical makes them nice and tight!

Resurrecting this thread for more information on the RRS Anvil 30 and ARCA rail fit. I have been on about half a dozen threads about tripods and heads to the point I'm staring into the abyss and thinking about jumping. If I finally decide on spending the money on an Anvil 30 and then have to buy half a dozen ARCA rails to find one that works, I'm going to be extremely PO.
So Anvil 30 users, who's ARCA rails are you using with your Anvil 30, how many rails have you used and have you had any issues.

Thanks for all the help this is a big decision for me.

Resurrecting this thread for more information on the RRS Anvil 30 and ARCA rail fit. I have been on about half a dozen threads about tripods and heads to the point I'm staring into the abyss and thinking about jumping. If I finally decide on spending the money on an Anvil 30 and then have to buy half a dozen ARCA rails to find one that works, I'm going to be extremely PO.
So Anvil 30 users, who's ARCA rails are you using with your Anvil 30, how many rails have you used and have you had any issues.

Thanks for all the help this is a big decision for me.
I replaced my old anvil 30 with the new one that has a tension screw (similar to the atlas bipod) and it works great. The anvil 30 is worth the money IMO. I have 2 manners stocks with the standard arca on their LRH stock and a couple other arca style plates on spotting Scope etc and it's so easy to adjust if u need to. Go ahead and get it. New has a locking tab in the handle and u see the adjustment on the right. Anvil 30 ARC is the new one.

Attachments

• 469C9612-DBF4-4037-803E-5BC3929C6D48.jpeg
    469C9612-DBF4-4037-803E-5BC3929C6D48.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 28AA8587-E1D3-409E-9B4B-24544CEA2D4A.jpeg
    28AA8587-E1D3-409E-9B4B-24544CEA2D4A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20