Mandrel / FL die

Baboltin

I have decided from reading through others post that I think what will be best for me to tighten up my ES would be to do a full length die and then get the most consistent neck tension by doing a mandrel die after I full length resize.

I have multiple questions,
First off I believe but wanted to confirm with you all what order is best, to ex1:full length resize, measure and trim the necks if needed and then get the desired neck tension through the mandrel die? Ex2:Or would I full length die, run it through the mandrel die and then trim the neck Down if needed?

my second question is I have a rcbs FL die set and I know if I am going to use a mandrel to get more accurate and consistent neck tension that I need to remove the expander ball in it, I'm not sure how I do that while keeping the primer punch inside the die, can anyone explain to me how to do that or do I have to get a new die set?

My last question is I have been looking online trying to find a mandrel die but they are all sold out, most of the mandrels are sold out and all of the mandrel dies are sold out, I am on a waiting list email notification once they are back in stock. Does anyone know of a brand mandrel die that would work for my needs and is available? I have checked a few websites but was hoping to get one direct from Sinclair.

thanks I appreciate anyone's advise or help.

1. I don't think trimming before or after using a mandrel would make a difference. We are only talking about a few thousands, maybe.

2. I deprime with a depriming die before I do ANYTHING to the brass...even cleaning. But if you want to still use the FL die and a depriming spindle you can always turn down the expander ball so it's not a factor.

3. I use pin gauges available from Amazon. Also use a Forster bullet puller, with the appropriate collet, to hold the pin. The Hornady bullet puller would work too.

1. I don't think trimming before or after using a mandrel would make a difference. We are only talking about a few thousands, maybe.

2. I deprime with a depriming die before I do ANYTHING to the brass...even cleaning. But if you want to still use the FL die and a depriming spindle you can always turn down the expander ball so it's not a factor.

3. I use pin gauges available from Amazon. Also use a Forster bullet puller, with the appropriate collet, to hold the pin. The Hornady bullet puller would work too.
Awesome thank you I will look into that as I am a little confused now and how your process goes.

My first step in the Gawd Awful thing we call 'brass-prep' is using a Lee Universal de-priming die. I always take 'the guts' out of my Redding sizer dies and instead use a mandrel (21st Century) as the last step of the 'sizing' process. Trimming and chamfering is my last step.
Perfect thank you

My first step in the Gawd Awful thing we call 'brass-prep' is using a Lee Universal de-priming die. I always take 'the guts' out of my Redding sizer dies and instead use a mandrel (21st Century) as the last step of the 'sizing' process. Trimming and chamfering is my last step.
Perfect advice....I prefer the lee collet neck die myself but had the sinclair and mandrels......... Just liked the lee better for my uses I guess. You are off to a good start and using methods it took me years to learn. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.