managing powder lots

lever-hed

I have a couple different powders each in 1 lb canisters.. I am finishing up with one of the RE-22's and moving to the next one, in the middle of loadings for my 25-06. I probly have 5-10 charges of the old stuff and I want to load 45 rounds. What is the recommended practice of switching lots? can I blend in if I reduce my charge and work up again or can I simply continue using the same powder , same charge, I 'm only using 49.2-grains for a 120-gr bullet.. what are your guys' thoughts?? thanks in advance..

ironically, I just read the "Brass Troubles" thread.. *(all components are same just switching powder lots) dont think I want those dents.

My charge is still rather light for this load , but I will plan on reducing my charge down to 47.4, but can I still mix the last few grain of one lot to the next lot? I know this is sor t of trivial but my mind is set at maximizing the use of components and no waste. thanks again..

I load all my varmint rifles (4) with H414. When I get near the bottom of one 8lb jug, I just pour the remainder into the a new jug, mix it up real good, and keep reloading. No problema.

No doubt I should work my load back up with the new mix, but I haven't found it necessary. I'd probably be more cautious with faster burning powders.

I've read that the RLs can vary quite a bit from lot to lot, but since you will be re-working your load with the new lot anyway, I can't see any problem with mixing the new and old lots.

I have a couple different powders each in 1 lb canisters.. I am finishing up with one of the RE-22's and moving to the next one, in the middle of loadings for my 25-06. I probly have 5-10 charges of the old stuff and I want to load 45 rounds. What is the recommended practice of switching lots? can I blend in if I reduce my charge and work up again or can I simply continue using the same powder , same charge, I 'm only using 49.2-grains for a 120-gr bullet.. what are your guys' thoughts?? thanks in advance..

I would just buy a 5# jug (or two) and re-check and adjust the load as necessary. One pounders are ok for a first time try, but when you find it works, get the big jugs and then you don't need to worry for awhile.

If I only have a little left over, I just burn it on the front steps! Makes a nice little poof of smoke:D

Once I find a powder I like, I do just like GoodGrouper, I buy enough of a single lot to last a LONG time (like a couple 8lb kegs etc.)

AJ

go with goodgrouper on this one.

i have mixed the last little bit of h4831 and retumbo with no ill affects but i wouldnt advise anyone else to do it you never know what will happen.

i would never even try it with r22 because i have had to change my load up to 5gr less with one lot #. i would load up what was left and then start low and work up the new. i have had a few differ lot # in r22 that actually came out the same, but i would still not do it with r22.

I overload ammo until the primer pocket gets loose, and then back off on the charge a safety margin ala Vernon Speer 1956.

Measuring the extractor groove with dial calipers for .001" expansion is easier than measuring the primer pocket directly with pin gauges.

I have found that some brands and powder are so consistent lot to lot, that the difference is down in the noise of variation from shot to shot.

There are brands and powders are more like bulk powder being sold as canister powder.

Good:
IMR
Alliant

Bad:
Accurate Arms

Hodgdon used to be bad, but is good now.

Winchester, I have not done enough testing.

Thanks for the help.. just the info I was looking for..
As it turns out, the 1st pound canister I just used up happens to be the same lot # as the next 2, except its 3rd shift, vs. 2nd on the next 2.

I wound up being able to load 6 rounds of the old having about 20 grains left over which I mixed with the new bowl o fRE-22 and made the rest of my 19 rounds with that..
Nevertheless I still backed off a few (from 49.2 to 48.2) reworking the load up to 49.0 and no pressure signs, its even hard tlo tell with CCI BR2 primers anyway. I actually found a decent cold weather load, but it may even be this new stuff.. no chrony so I will keep it on the mild(er) side for now.
Next I'll try some H4831sc that I will work on which should have a better temperament.
Thanks again. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.