Making use of data: Bullet base to ogive?

emn83

So, my OCD kicked in a little today, and I pulled the box of Berger 155gr VLD I have, waiting for my rifle to return, and decided to measure the base to ogive on all 100 bullets in the box. Now I am unsure what to do, if anything with the data.

The bullets ended up gaving a base to ogive length range of 0.004 inches, with 0.543 being the minimum, and 0.547 being the max. The lengths grouped like this:

0.543: 5
0.544: 30
0.545: 34
0.546: 20
0.547: 11

My calipers has a stated accuracy of +/- 0.0005, so there may be a slight variation at the extreme ends.

So, my question is, what if anything, can I do with this new date? is it worth it to sort the bullets by base to ogive? Or have I simply found a way to entertain myself for about an hour?

Last edited:
Well at this point it's just entertainment.

But also an opportunity to consider what ANY value might mean.
The 4thou,, is it due to base length, bearing length, ogive radius, or wedging/pressure in measurement?
Is it a combination?
What does any one of them mean to you?
What did you expect of the measure?

good chance that it was just a lack of experience and over thinking. I was thinking if I knew the base to ogive length on the bullets, I could figure out how deep into the case the bullets go, so there would be a uniform seating depth. I have no clue if/how this would affect accuracy or consistency, but, well, when I get a little bored, this is what results.

Ok, we're getting somewhere now.
~4thou uniform seating depth into the case doesn't matter.
It won't affect seating forces or tension. It won't affect distance to lands. It won't affect case capacity a single kernels worth.
It won't affect load pressure/MV. It won't affect BC.

And, I would call 4thou total variance on your measure extremely uniform.

Ok, we're getting somewhere now.
~4thou uniform seating depth into the case doesn't matter.
It won't affect seating forces or tension. It won't affect distance to lands. It won't affect case capacity a single kernels worth.
It won't affect load pressure/MV. It won't affect BC.

And, I would call 4thou total variance on your measure extremely uniform.

Thanks. Being new to reloading, and all this, sometimes I get wrapped up in the minutely small stuff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.