• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Making my own stock!! A little help

matt_3479

I am a 17 year old that has a construction class in highschool. I have full permission to make a rifle stock so i would really like to take the challenge. I would like to make a configuration of a A5 stock. Something like the ones Russo makes. I say one of his exotic wood stocks, looks like a cherry wood colour and really liked it and was hoping to try to make one like that.

i was wondering what kind of wood should i use. It will be placed on a remington 700 action chambered in a 7mm rem mag. I have the full equipment and helpp from my teacher who also loves to hunt and shoot so he will help me, and i always have my dads best friend who said he would make a gloss for me if wanted or even pour a glass almost over top.

What is your thoughts on this? what kind of wood should i use. My teacher suggest Walnut or Cherry due to being somewhat light weight, tough, and cheap. But would like an opinion. It is my last year to use the full e

Last edited:
Send Joel a PM. I'm sure he would be glad to point you in the right direction. Joel is using Bubinga for my stock:) But anything that is structuraly sound will work. Walnut, maple, cherry... Plus any of the laminated options or you could laminate something yourself to add another dimension to the project.

Good luck!

Gene

i dont know how heavy you want to get into this but the hardest part is finding aged wood. wood that is been dried for 5 years or so. there was some nice wood on gun broker the other day aged 10 years but it was pricey. also snipershide.com has a great write up on pilers and bedding.Bedding Project - Sniper's Hide Forums

good luck and let us know how it goes.

snipershide forum and check out the make your own stock thread I am sure some of the guys with post there could steer you in the right direction. Good Luck