Making my 25-06 a accurate long range rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Christianthebuckmaster, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Christianthebuckmaster

Christianthebuckmaster New Member

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas. This is my first post on this forums and im wanting to make my 25-06 the ultimate long range rifle. I use my 25-06 for groundhogs, deer, coyote, and other varmints. I reload and im shooting 115 grain nosler balistic tips. Its already a accurate rifle as it stands. What all should i do to kill a groundhog at 600-1000 yards?

2. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

I'd say chrono your load, get it plugged into one of the Ballistic Calculators, check/learn your rifle's drops and practice on paper, groundhogs or both.
    A scope with target turrets and a laser range finder will help. JohnnyK.

3. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

Welcome to LRH.

If you are confident in the accuracy of your rig, then it is time to learn what your bullet is doing downrange. Like johnnyk suggested, develop your drop table and back it up with a good ballistics program. Once you have a good idea what is happening downrange, then target acquisition is the next step. A top quality laser rangefinder is a must. Lots of threads here on that subject. In the end, at the yardage you are talking about, the Swaro or the Leica will be your best bet. Then get a quality scope. You will need to determine if you want to compensate for distance by "holdover" or the "dial-up" method. This will determine what reticle you want, which in turn will give the direction you need to go in choosing a quality scope.

4. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

What all should i do to kill a groundhog at 600-1000 yards? [​IMG]

Hunt on NO WIND DAYS after you do all of the above.

5. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

what make 25-06 do you have?? what size are the groups at 600 yards??

6. Reynolds02

Reynolds02 Well-Known Member

After you chrono your load you still need to shoot the ranges to verify your dope. It doesn't always match what your chrono and published bc say...good luck

7. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

the 25-06 is a great round. no answer . interesting.

8. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

Original poster hasn't been back since posting the question...