Making a high rear bag?

MLN1963

I use an old set of carhartt pants and the ultralite box to bench fill. You can get enough for a smaller bag and it's like $6 free shipping

I bought some of this and it is not as described IMHO. It’s very deformable and a lot like styrofoam beads that have more resistance to permanent deformation. It bounces back. That said it’s not ideal and too soft. Maybe they sent me the wrong stuff, but I was expecting something closer to a hard bead that had a little give.

Shane Lindsey

I bought some of this and it is not as described IMHO. It’s very deformable and a lot like styrofoam beads that have more resistance to permanent deformation. It bounces back. That said it’s not ideal and too soft. Maybe they sent me the wrong stuff, but I was expecting something closer to a hard bead that had a little give.

I have one of their bags. It is too soft for me as well. I really like the weight (or lack of), but just isn't firm enough for me.

chutinlead

I mean yeah you can squish a bead in between your fingers, but it does bounce back. I made a longer skinny rear bag and it's probably 80% full. It supports the weight of the the rear of my rifle only compressing less than a 1/2". If you are used to rice and beans or plastic bbs, it is softer than any of those.

I have plans to make a larger front bag, but haven't gotten to that yet, but I like how it locks together with a little weight on it.

762x51

airsoft BB's are another good filler material. never tried them though.

Shane Lindsey

I mean yeah you can squish a bead in between your fingers, but it does bounce back. I made a longer skinny rear bag and it's probably 80% full. It supports the weight of the the rear of my rifle only compressing less than a 1/2". If you are used to rice and beans or plastic bbs, it is softer than any of those.

I have plans to make a larger front bag, but haven't gotten to that yet, but I like how it locks together with a little weight on it.

I have to squeeze these bags too much that it causes pulse on the rifle stock. It just isn't rigid enough. I prefer to let it just sit with little to no squeeze with my rear hand if possible.

A lot has to do with how tight/full you make the bag.

chutinlead

I have to squeeze these bags too much that it causes pulse on the rifle stock. It just isn't rigid enough. I prefer to let it just sit with little to no squeeze with my rear hand if possible.

And also the shape and material you make the bag from. This needs a pretty rigid material I believe which makes worn broke in carhartt just about perfect.

Shane Lindsey

Anybody ever just used their fist?

I also if hasty will use the rear sling swivel/sling and grab the bicep/shoulder portion of my shirt. Works well if in a hurry. Not super long range sturdy, but out a good clip.

MLN1963

I have some that I haven’t used for the reasons you mention. I have thought about a big @$$ fat bag type bag for support or mixing iit with some of the bead type fill to take up space and maybe help them lock together a little better.

sea2summit

I have some that I haven’t used for the reasons you mention. I have thought about a big @$$ fat bag type bag for support or mixing iit with some of the bead type fill to take up space and maybe help them lock together a little better.
Those are huge, my daughter uses one matches but not for rear support. Off a bipod if you put it under the stock you’d probably have 25-30 degrees down angle. If she has a spot for a rear bag she uses a shmedium game changer, grippy brick, or python. If I needed a tall rear bag I’d probably look at the game changer just for all the options it gives.

MLN1963

Those are huge, my daughter uses one matches but not for rear support. Off a bipod if you put it under the stock you’d probably have 25-30 degrees down angle. If she has a spot for a rear bag she uses a shmedium game changer, grippy brick, or python. If I needed a tall rear bag I’d probably look at the game changer just for all the options it gives.
I didn’t mean for a rear bag, a support bag for the arm when kneeling and such. I was just trying to come up with a use for the fill I have. Sorry to mislead you.