Making A Case For The 308 Winchester By Michael Eichelle

Is Anybody shooting the Sierra 165 HPBT GK in there .308s? They shoot pretty decent in my rifle out to 700 yds or so. My rifle just dosent seem to like any of the AMax bullets.
Steve

I aquired a post `64 model 70 that shoots the sierra and speer 165 gr. bullets very well.I haven`t shot any game with it yet,but I have complete faith in them to kill elk sized game.

Mr. Eichele I just read your article on the 308 winchester and it was a great article. I have a question regarding Sierra Gamekings. I was looking at using the 180 grain gameking out of my 308, 1/12 twist for whitetail deer hunting out to 500 yards. I contacted one of the Sierra techs and they advised me that this bullet was too hard and needed a min of 2100 fps on whitetail. I have read several of your post and see that you use the 200 grain gameking. Is the 200 grain gameking a little softer than the 180. Any info would be appreaciated.

Thanks again Mr. Eichelle, going to give them a try. I am currently shooting the Amax, but afraid of what my happen at close range. Where I hunt here in the East, shots could be anywhere from 30 yards out to 500 yards. Thanks again Sir.

Just to my 2cents in. I have always loved the 308 Win. I too have been shooting and hunting for over 40 years and the 308 has always been my do anything round. I load anything between 110 gr sp to 180 gr game kings. I do have other "bigger better" cartridge rifles but the 308 is called upon the most. If I had to give up every rifle I had and only keep one I would keep the 308 hands down. I don't do any long range hunting with it, mostly just never tried, but I do shoot a lot of rocks way out there. Any day shooting at anything is a good day.

Great article and keep shooting

Tsmith9876

I know this is an old thread but in the east the 308's a BEAST! I used it last year to kill some Kentucky deer. I have several other rifles but this one is a browning automatic short track. This gun is light, automatic, and plenty of 30 caliber power to knock'em stiff! It's great up close and far away! We have a lot of brush and strip mines where either shot could be present from 30 yards to 300yards. It does a dang fine job. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to take a 3-400 yard shot as long as I had a good rest of course.

I know this is an old thread but in the east the 308's a BEAST! I used it last year to kill some Kentucky deer. I have several other rifles but this one is a browning automatic short track. This gun is light, automatic, and plenty of 30 caliber power to knock'em stiff! It's great up close and far away! We have a lot of brush and strip mines where either shot could be present from 30 yards to 300yards. It does a dang fine job. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to take a 3-400 yard shot as long as I had a good rest of course.

It's a beast period. Not just in the east. The .308 has killed everything from the Taliban to grizzly bears. At 400 yards the .308 winchester will kill anything with a pulse.

I'm in full agreement! I'm trying to get my little brother into all this awesome long range stuff. He also has a 308 bAR and we've set up some deadly deer crossfires in the Bluegrass. Sadly we can only deer hunt with shotguns in Ohio were we reside. He got tore up when he saw you had killed a sheep at like 736 yards!! He loved how you use different bullets for a different purpose in your 308. Remember, he's new to the game. He's like I was a few years ago rifle, bullets, fur in crosshairs and all is well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts