Making A Case For The 308 Winchester By Michael Eichelle

thanks for the help.

I found a stability calculator that seems to agree, but you really can't use it without the exact bullet length, I'll have to find my calipers. A 168 VLD should do will I think...

Geez, you guys are killin me! :) I have been wavering between a new .308 and .270. The object is to have an extremely accurate bold for deer, pig, and maybe larger like elk. I already have a Browning BAR 270 that I have reasonably accurate loads for and was thinking a really accurate bolt would be good to have in the same cal because I reload for it and already have inventory & dies. I get 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 fliers that are 1" + away from cloverleaves on the BAR.

But the .308 is a very compelling round! Accuracy is #1 consideration along with very similar terminal force (ft lbs) to a 270 is (#2). Bigger hole in the target. Good range in bullet weights, though it seems everyone at the range shoots the 168s. I gotta think the 180s are going to thump harder on large game than anything the 270 throws out there. But then I have a lot of fun loading the 270 with everything from 110gr to 150. The 110s scream out at 3200 fps+ and the recoil is very light.

OK, but then the venerable 30-06 steps in. Not as univerally accurate as the 308, but I have heard enough stories of very accurate 06s. 100+ fps faster but not as efficient. Seems like kick is disproprotionately more than the 308. Or is that just my perception?

I'm sure thousands of others have gone down this road trying to decide between these. The cost of new dies is not a major issue. But I have bullet, powder and case inventory for the 270.

What to do!? Like I said, you guys are killing me. :D

I once read an article that talked about how American's shooting skills got suddenly better when the .270 came out. We went from 180 gr. bullets to 139 gr. bullets. Recoil matters. In my old age, I've started shooting much reduced loads, with very good results on game.

A few years ago I ran across this advertisement for the 6 mm and 7mm BR.
Trajectory, Meat Damage, and Knock-Down

I have found it to be true. I use all 7mm because I like the bullet selection and the ballistics. I loaded my 7mm WSM down to 7mm-08 speeds with Berger bullets and got great accuracy and quick kills. One shot kill on elk (two steps and a roll down the hill) at 350 yards convinced me.

The rifle I shoot the best is my little 7-30 Waters in a Thompson Contender with 120 grain Barnes bullets. I shot a Barbary sheep (notoriously tough) at 230 yards, with complete penetration and dropped it in its tracks with a broken shoulder. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any deer sized animal with that load out to 250 yards, and probably further. I'm convinced that the lighter recoil is what makes it so much easier to shoot off-hand.

I also use limbsaver butt pads on my heavy recoil rifles. They make a big difference.

Take a look at the recoil calculators and you'll see a difference. Less is more.

the discussion of sectional-density and 'slow' bullets over at eabco.com is starting to make sense to me. There really is something to this 'hit them with a slower bullet and you'll knock them on their ***' theory isn't there ??

I know this is a rather old thread but I just read it. The .308 winchester has killed everything from grizzly bears to the taliban. I have total confidence that If I can get close enough for an 1800 fps impact speed, I can kill anything that walks. Depending on bullet weight and powder burn rate, that 1800 fps can be achieved as far out as 500 yards.

It's a good old thread though, about one of my favorite cartridges. Just took a small buck with my .308 a few days ago. Not a long range shot, but accurate, and the buck dropped instantly. I still think very highly of it.

Load closely duplicated my match ammo:

Once fired Federal case, neck sized w/Wilson dies.
45 gr Varget
CCI BR2 primer
Nosler 165 gr Ballistic Tip

Bullet struck high on the shoulder, exactly where I aimed. Punched through the deer which was angling towards me, and exited with a 4" wide, 1" high wound. Lots of blood, but no need to track as the buck simply collapsed in place.

Semper Fi, Guy

Is Anybody shooting the Sierra 165 HPBT GK in there .308s? They shoot pretty decent in my rifle out to 700 yds or so. My rifle just dosent seem to like any of the AMax bullets.
Steve

Yepper. I shoot both the 165 gr SPBT and HPBT with great success for me(<.75 MOA). I even worked up a nice 180 gr SPBT load (MV = 2,735 and MOA ~0.5).

Michael,
Would you use the 200 gr sgk in a 20" barrel 1/11" twist? I think it wouldn't have too great of velocity to make it worth it? Would the 180 sgk be a better bet? And what kind of velocity is realistic with a 20" barrel?

Michael,
Would you use the 200 gr sgk in a 20" barrel 1/11" twist? I think it wouldn't have too great of velocity to make it worth it? Would the 180 sgk be a better bet? And what kind of velocity is realistic with a 20" barrel?

To be honest, I have VERY minimal experience with 20" barrels. I can't really say. The best bet is to try it out. I think with the 200SGK, you could still get them up to 2400+ which is not fabulous but would do the job well as long as you limited your range to the point where 1500'/sec is.

The 175 LRX looks like it may be a great alternative for those who can't get the 200's up fast enough. For thinner skinned game, the 168 or 178 AMAXs are tough to beat in the 308.

M

Michael:

My experience has been with a good controlled expansion bullet 150 grain bullets are to to go to load in short barreled 308s. I have found the Swift Shirocco, Nosler Accubond and the Barnes XXX to be the best combinations. I load all with velocities between 2875- and 3019 fps in a 1:12 20 inch barrel.
If I wer to shoot 180 grainers I would recomend 24-26" barrels. for hunting guns.
Nat Lambeth

The .308 Winchester has killed everything from the Taliban to grizzly bears. Mine is a Howa 1500 Varmint supreme. When I set up this rifle, its intended purpose was a budget F class rifle. It served that purpose very well. When I developed an interest in hunting I didn't have the funds to put together a hunting rig. As A result, I went hunting with my target rifle and my match load. Since then my .308 has harvested a 250 pound pig with a 175 grain Berger VLD over 44.6 grains of N150. When I take to the hunting fields, nothing that walks on four legs is safe if I have the skill to put the bullet where it needs to go. Now I have the financial means to put together a dedicated hunting rig, all the pieces and parts are up for debate. The caliber is set in stone. It will be a .308 winchester.

I have the Savage Target F/TR rifle in .308.... I wonder if there is a way to 'lighten' the rifle up a bit. Trim the barrel & change the stock maybe? 30" is a long, heavy son of a gun. I know it's not going to be a mountain-rifle but it could be better...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.