Making A Case For The 308 Winchester By Michael Eichelle

I have one of Thompson/Center ICON Precision Hunter rifle in .308 from the Ian McMurchy Rifle Raffle. I just had Shawn and Bob from Defensive Edge put the rings and scope on and it's time to start reloading. I mentioned before that I have the 168 gr. Sierra Mk's (Kirby Allen), also a 1000 Berger bullets from Eric Stecker of Berger bullets. I have not ordered the Berger's as of yet, do you have any suggestions on what gr. Bullet to use with the Berger's. I hunt elk and mule deer here in Idaho.

I have one of Thompson/Center ICON Precision Hunter rifle in .308 from the Ian McMurchy Rifle Raffle. I just had Shawn and Bob from Defensive Edge put the rings and scope on and it's time to start reloading. I mentioned before that I have the 168 gr. Sierra Mk's (Kirby Allen), also a 1000 Berger bullets from Eric Stecker of Berger bullets. I have not ordered the Berger's as of yet, do you have any suggestions on what gr. Bullet to use with the Berger's. I hunt elk and mule deer here in Idaho.

With the shorter factory barrel I would recomend starting with powders on the faster side of the 308 spectrum such as RL-12, Benchmark, H4895, VV-N530 etc....You could try RL-15 and Varget if those dont work, but H4895 and similar should work well.

As far as which Berger, it is a hard question for me to answer. Your rifle may not like the best one for the job. Also, the VLD's typically works best with higher impact velocities. This doesnt work well with a 308 espescially a short barrel 308 for long range hunting.

For mule deer or elk, I would be looking hard at the 168 or 175 VLD. They are a good balance between weight, mass and BC with a decent starting velocity (2600-2700 FPS for the 175's and 2750-2800 for the 168's) This would get you somewhere in the 500 yard+ ball park for reliable terminal effects with the VLD. If you work up a good load with the 168 SMK, then I would get the 168 VLD's and work the charge weight up and down SLIGHTLY and/or the seating depth to duplicate the SMK load.

Let us know what happens!

Michael, nice article and thanks for taking the time to write it. You probably read that I picked up one of those 5R Milspecs this last spring, I know you have some experience with this model. This is fast becoming one of my favorite guns. It can shoot in the .1's and I don't think it has ever shot over .5 during load developement. I was tired of burning barrels and a friend suggested this caliber and that it would easily go 4,000 rounds. Time will tell but from what I've read, it has the potential to go all of that and more. This was my first experience with the 308 and I have found it to be a very accurate round and easy to load for with very manageable recoil. It is turning out to be my number one go to rifle for developing long range shooting skills. Just topped it this last week with a Sightron SIII 6x24 MD and like it even more now. Favorite load is a 175 SMK at 2610 fps.

Michael, nice article and thanks for taking the time to write it. You probably read that I picked up one of those 5R Milspecs this last spring, I know you have some experience with this model. This is fast becoming one of my favorite guns. It can shoot in the .1's and I don't think it has ever shot over .5 during load developement. I was tired of burning barrels and a friend suggested this caliber and that it would easily go 4,000 rounds. Time will tell but from what I've read, it has the potential to go all of that and more. This was my first experience with the 308 and I have found it to be a very accurate round and easy to load for with very manageable recoil. It is turning out to be my number one go to rifle for developing long range shooting skills. Just topped it this last week with a Sightron SIII 6x24 MD and like it even more now. Favorite load is a 175 SMK at 2610 fps.

Sounds like you have a sweet shooter! I hate to say it but that was to this day my favorite rifle even over my customs! It was just a sweet shooting rig.

To paraphrase a line from the Matrix- I like guns... lots of guns :D

My little VTR in .308 has proven to be a good shooter. I trust it implicitly out to 300 yards with 150gr Pro Hunters. I've got some 168gr Berger VLD's loaded and ready to test and I plan to load some 185gr Berger VLD's and test them as well. Best accuracy in my VTR "seems" to come from RL-15 and 2,500 fps with the 150gr ProHunters. I'm not sure where I'll start with the heavier bullets. Probably work up from 2,400 book values and go from there.

I took a deer at 285 yards this year. I hit right where I wanted to and she made a little half circle and died in under 20 yards (but only about 5 from where I hit her).

Once I get some time on the 600 yard range I may extend my comfort level with the .308 a tad. Around here it's plenty of rifle for what we have to shoot, even at 600 yards.

I'm just beginning the process of getting to know my Sendero (7 mag) and within 6 months or so I should be the proud owner of a .338 Edge so I will have rifle capability at long range covered. The shooters skills at long range remain to be seen :D

While it ups the game for all cartidges that it will be loaded in, it seems to me that (if the claims are true) the new Hornady Superformance ammo adding a couple hundred feet per second with some pretty darn good bullets available (150 & 165 gr SST's in particular) makes a great round even better, and more useful at potentially longer ranges. (and even less prone to criticism)

I love my Savage 10 Precision Hunter, in .308 - but with the 20" barrel the new Hornady propellants that are said (claimed) to have a miniscule velocity difference for shorter barrels is very appealing to me to give it just a bit more poke!

Not that that helps the reloader much, yet....

-Joe

Good reading. I'm a fan of the 308 own one and use it. One can not though minimize that some success or not on large game at great distances lies with the shooters ability too.

Mike

Which rifle scope combination are you using the most/favorite for long range shots on game ? I know you need plenty of elevation for .308 208 Amax over 600 yards

With the shorter factory barrel I would recomend starting with powders on the faster side of the 308 spectrum such as RL-12, Benchmark, H4895, VV-N530 etc....You could try RL-15 and Varget if those dont work, but H4895 and similar should work well.

As far as which Berger, it is a hard question for me to answer. Your rifle may not like the best one for the job. Also, the VLD's typically works best with higher impact velocities. This doesnt work well with a 308 espescially a short barrel 308 for long range hunting.

For mule deer or elk, I would be looking hard at the 168 or 175 VLD. They are a good balance between weight, mass and BC with a decent starting velocity (2600-2700 FPS for the 175's and 2750-2800 for the 168's) This would get you somewhere in the 500 yard+ ball park for reliable terminal effects with the VLD. If you work up a good load with the 168 SMK, then I would get the 168 VLD's and work the charge weight up and down SLIGHTLY and/or the seating depth to duplicate the SMK load.

What powder(s) are you using? The starting loads/vel. you are listing for the 168/175 vld's appear to be max loads with most powders.

Michael,

The Sierra Bullet's were 175 match kings, I loaded them with H4895 and 10k off the lan's. Charge wt. of 40gr, 41gr,42gr, and 43gr. three rounds per group and each group is touching. What a great combo, thanks for the info.

How will the 175 mk do as a hunting bullet? I also shot some factory Nosler 165gr Accubond and had 2 touching and one just off. This rifle is fun to shoot.

I just recieved the load data from Berger so I will work up the loads for the 168's this weekend.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Steve

What powder(s) are you using? The starting loads/vel. you are listing for the 168/175 vld's appear to be max loads with most powders.

RL-17, VV-N540 and VV-N550.

With RL-17, I have seen unbelievable velocities with 168's through the 210's. I have personally shot the 208 AMAX at 2730 FPS and the 168 AMAX over 2900. This was a bit warm though. Since, RL17 is a fairly chuncky powder, I cannot get the needed charges in the case and seat bullets to a magazine compatible length. I switched to VV-N550 for the heavy bullets such as the 200 SGK and the 208. I use VV-N540 for 190's down to the 168's. With N550, I have run the 208 at 2700 but is warm. 2650 is better but my accuracy is at 2610. For the 168 and 178, 46 and 45 grains of N-540 has been the shizzle.

Hope that helps!

M

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.