Making A Case For The 308 Winchester By Michael Eichelle

I'm in full agreement! I'm trying to get my little brother into all this awesome long range stuff. He also has a 308 bAR and we've set up some deadly deer crossfires in the Bluegrass. Sadly we can only deer hunt with shotguns in Ohio were we reside. He got tore up when he saw you had killed a sheep at like 736 yards!! He loved how you use different bullets for a different purpose in your 308. Remember, he's new to the game. He's like I was a few years ago rifle, bullets, fur in crosshairs and all is well.

Tell me about it! Behind any state around.

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Making A Case For The 308 Winchester, By Michael Eichelle. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I can't fault you, If my wife found out how many .223, .308, and 30-06 `s I have I would need a lawyer. At the end of the day I cozy up with my .308`s.

They just seem to be very consistent with a very pleasing recoil.

P.S just got into cast bullets with 14 grs. Of red dot behind them.
I'm digging the economy and availability of wheel weights.

The 308 get nothing but 'kudos', from me. As far as I am concerned the case was made a long time ago, and many times over.
Several years ago I filled a Bighorn Ram tag using the 308 w/a 165 nosler partition. I got many inquiries as to why I didn't use one of my wildcat super-charged, go-fast cartridges. I didn't waste my time explaining, but smiled and went on. I figured, if you gotta ask, you wouldn't appreciate the explaination.
At any rate, CASE MADE in my book.

cornchuck;321334 That is great. Because I just my first .308 two weeks ago. It is a Remington 700 Police. I was concidering a 300 win mag over the 308 said:
+1 this. I sent Michael a pm to discuss a couple things I was wondering about and he pretty much sold me on the it. I was considering a 300wsm but in the end I went with a 700P as well. Very happy with the choice and the article.

shane

+1 this. I sent Michael a pm to discuss a couple things I was wondering about and he pretty much sold me on the it. I was considering a 300wsm but in the end I went with a 700P as well. Very happy with the choice and the article.

shane

I own the same rifle and I have about 2500,rounds down the pipe. Shoots as good as ever. Bullets powder and primer are a little hard to come by these days. I am currently shooting hard cast lead bullets through mine and it is a joy to learn a new black art. This will also extend the life of the old girl.
Cheers
gun)

Loved your article know it is old but I am new to the talk. I started hunting in 1973 used my dads 308 Remington 742. The gun has killed hundreds of deer and other animals and has only had a few hundred rounds put through it. The longest shot was 700 yards. hit the mule deer in the rib cage passed through the lungs and heart then shoulder blade and like the bear story earlier stopped between the skin and shoulder. I shot caribou in King salmon Alaska put down 3 in less than 30 seconds in ranges from 300 to 450 yards only used 3 shots and 2 of the bou were on the run. Killed moose at 300 yards. Have used 243, 270s, 373, 375, 300mag 7mm, all are good and most can out shoot the average shooter. When I was in the army you were expected to hit a man sized target with open sites at 300 meters to qualify expert. With a good scope on a good rifle with a good mount almost any gun should be able to hit a target at under 500 yards with the exception of a 3030 it just was not made for range. If you are going to be doing any hunting past 600 yards recommend doing your own reloads regardless of the caliber. I have been lucky to have hunted in places where you can shoot out to 1000 yards. I used the 308 primarily because ammo was so easy to get and When in the army was an m60 gunner most of our snipers use 308, 338 and 50 cal. The 308 will also kick less than 270 and the 3006 with the same grain bullet. Just bought a new 308 looking to see it last the next 30 years. Don't hunt much now but hope to make a 1 mile shot on a milk jug someday. Thanks for the article love my 308.

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Making A Case For The 308 Winchester, By Michael Eichelle. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Michael, I was just wondering what your load was for moose? I am also a big fan of the 308 and have killed whitetail and mule deer with the rifle past 700 yards. Also used it to kill a 6x6 bull elk all using the 168 Amax. I am going on my first moose hunt this October and want to use the same rifle. Powder, charge, and primer info please.

Dale

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts