Making .270 out of 30-06 brass?

SQ Stalker

I ran across a deal on some unfired Lapua 30-06 brass, and I'm going to re-size it to .270 Win, for a good spring project. Is there a preferred method to ensure the neck thickness stays in check?

My current thoughts are:

1)Use my FL bushing sizer die w/ a slightly larger bushing so that the larger OD will compensate for the thicker neck and end up producing the same ID. I'm trying to duplicate the same amount of neck tension of my current load.

2)Then trim the brass and turn the necks to the same thickness of the .270 brass that I have been using.

This makes since in my head but I'm unsure if this is the correct way to do it.

If this will work, about how much thicker will the necks be after being sized down?

I currently use a .302 bushing on brass with .013"-.014" neck thickness.

So maybe order a .303 & .304 bushing??

Feel free to correct me if I have this upside down :)

I did this with a bunch of lapua 308win win brass necked it down to 6.5. I just ran it through my 260rem die and I was done. It looked a little funny at first but after I trimmed it to length and fired it one time it took the wavy part out of the neck and it looked great after that.

You will want to wait for someone who has done this to advise you (I haven't), but the neck of .270 brass is 0.045" farther forward than the '06 brass. The finished product will need fire-forming, and case length may come up a little short; doesn't mean that it can't be done, only that the finished product may not meet expectations. Take a look a the drawings in a loading manual.

Last edited:
Stalker, 30-06 brass is 2.494 in length and 270 Win. brass is 2.540 so the brass is going to be short even though you'll gain some length in the sizing process. The necks won't get much thicker, maybe a .001.
It's going to leave a big gap between your lead and case mouth, which can cause problems with bullet jackets swagging into the gap, before entering the bore, depending on bullet type.

RHB

Thanks for the input. When I re-size should a use a lot or just a bit of lube? I've read about doing it both ways. I'm using Imperial wax.

A light ,even coat is all you'll need. Too much can put dents in the shoulder face. After you size the first case, with the press handle still down, screw the expander button rod up until the button touches the bottom of the neck, then back it off 1/2 turn and leave the rod loose so the button can float when pulled through the neck ( well lubed inside neck ). This will help keep the necks straight for the rest of the process. Good luck!! --- RHB

Thanks. I currently have the expander button out of the die. It seems to work well like that. Should I put it back in?

Also do you think I would gain any accuracy from using the re-sized Lapua brass compared to 270 Norma or Nosler brass?

Last edited:
Stalker, I doubt that the Lapua brass will make your gun more accurate than the others mentioned but it will most likely last a lot longer if you're shooting fairly hot loads. Lapua brass is known for keeping primer pockets tight much longer !! --- RHB ---( PM sent )

Found some old lake city brass. Has anyone had good luck resizing it for 270 win? Any reports on issues with performance?

Found some old lake city brass. Has anyone had good luck resizing it for 270 win? Any reports on issues with performance?
Half of my 270 brass has an '06 headstamp. When using re-formed mil brass be aware of volume issues(casued by heavier case wall construction) with mil- brass and the fact you may need to remove the crimp. Personally I'd use either factory 270 or "06 brass unless I had a bunch(enough for the life of the rifle) of the lc brass.

Simply run the 30/06 brass through the standard 270 dies with the expander ball where it
normally is in the 270 set up. All of the sizing you want is just enough to chamber in your
270, no more.

You will see a small ring at the base of the neck. (This is good) where it is still 30 caliber. this helps set the head space and minimizes brass stretch durring fire forming.

There should be no need to turn the necks unless a loaded round is less than .004 larger than the outside
of a fired round.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.