Make a modified case without a lathe??

I am sorry not sure if it was going where i tought it was.
As a retired machinist I tought it was a good idea to put a little warning out on the use sharp tools with a positive rake in soft materials.
Thats all.
Regards Martin

There is at least one Youtube video that I know of that demo's the process clearly. Good luck.

I know Hornady makes one but want to drill and tap one myself. Any ideas on doing this without a lathe?
I use a drill chuck to hold brass. Drill on drill press. Then chuck tap in drill press and turn by hand. Ream brass to slip fit Bullet. I use a sized brass.

when I make mine up I take a piece of oak drill a hole thru it about the same size as the case. Then cut this in half and use it to hold the case in a vice. this holds the case for me, and keeps it straight while you drill it. tapping is easy as its brass

^^^^ This is exactly what I do, but use a vise on the table of the drill press. Leave the case in the vise and swap out the drill for the tap. I have a foot switch for the drill press and can tap the case with the drill press too.

I second using cutting fluid on the drill AND tap. Makes things a whole lot easier. I have made about 20+ cases that way, that's the only way to go for wildcats.

If you have to buy a tap, buy a machine tap and not a hand tap. Machine taps are a far better tool. They'll last longer and are harder to break.

If you're going to do this very often I'd suggest getting a second drill chuck. Buy the type that threads on. Get a flat-head bolt to fit the chuck and then drill and counter-sink a piece of plate for that bolt. Attach the chuck to the plate with the flat-head.

Set-up is simple, using just the unfluted part of a dull/dead drill clamp it in either chuck, then clamp it in the other chuck so that they are "nose" to "nose". Lower the quill of the drill press until the plate rests on the drill press' table and clamp the plate to it. Remove the drill shank and you're ready to drill cases. Doesn't matter which chuck you put the case in.

I use the chuck on the drill press to start taps straight, just turn them in by hand.

Last edited:
I guess if I were running production I'd want cutting tools with less rake for the softer materials. For what I do I've found that simply controlling the quill (in this case) and not allowing it to get pulled down by the cutting tool has worked fine. Sometimes pecking at the hole works best. Other times holding the quill handle in opposition to the pull is all that it takes. Backing off on the spindle speed helps give me time to react to the pull.