Major copper fouling?

I have spent hours with just about everything on the market except the foam products and the muzzle will still have some copper drives me nuts

I have NOT tried everything on the market, because since I started using Wipe-Out, I have been completely satisfied and stopped trying other products. That was a couple of decades ago, and I have lived happily ever after. The only down-side I have seen is that it makes m feel lazy.

What would I do with 10 bore guides ?

41h5v8PLmsL._AC_SL1390_.jpg

Fire lapping also opens up the throat dia along with the bore dia. If you have a barrel that looks like the pictures, it would be a situation were you have little to nothing to loose.

But they would also get them with their cleaning rods would they not ?

Good point, Privi - but what about all the guys who bought their rods like we did, before they were packaged with the bore guides ??? I'm mostly just kidding here, as I'm sure you have figured out. I just feel so strongly that everybody would benefit from using a bore guide that I think of it as being an essential part of the cleaning kit. I wouldn't stick a rod into my rifle bore without first putting the bore guide into the action port.

I recently purchased a Dakota Model 10, which is a falling-block single shot. Nothing in my assortment of bore guides fit this action, since the sliding tang safety was in the way. So, I took an old Sinclair bore guide ( the kind with the O-ring that fits tightly in the chamber ) and cut it off short enough to fit. Now it's dedicated to that particular rifle, and it works like a charm. The one you posted a picture of works great for everything else, since the rest of my rifles are all bolt actions. These things also keep the solvents from dripping down into the magazine well, and that's a plus.

Another thing I really like is Sinclair's boot for covering the butt stock while cleaning. I found out the hard way how Wipe-Out completely ruins an oil finish on fancy custom rifles. Don't know what it does to conventional modern stock finishes, but I can't imagine that it does anything good. Far better to cover it all up than to have to examine the stock for drips & splashes before putting it away.

Shooter, I've read through most of these posts and there is some good advice. I believe regular Hoppes 9 is so mild it takes a long (Days) soak and is still not great at copper removal. Hoppes Benchrest 9 is also mild / easy on steel but will remove copper and carbon.

There are some folks here who fancy themselves the experts' expert and would tell you never fill and soak your bore. I disagree. I've seen badly copper and carbon fouled barrels that shot horrible come sparkling clean And return to sub-moa accuracy after an overnight bore fill and soak with HB9, drain, brush, and patch until patch is clean. Then lube. Hoppes Benchrest 9 states right on the label that it is safe to soak overnight. Try it if you like, or don't.

For routine cleaning, I use Sweet's 7.62. I think its pretty good but it is harsh so I would not leave it in my bore any longer than the label says. Which is 15 minutes.

Just got new Tipton nylon bore brushes. Ready to start scrubbing a couple of my rifles. If I don't post again for a couple of weeks, ya'll send someone over to take my rifle cleaning stuff away from me and make me a big pitcher of Margaritas.

You can even buy chamber plugs with an O ring for the overnight soak. Think I got mine from Brownells. One covers a lot, i.e the 308 one does anything with that headsize, ditto belted etc.

You can even buy chamber plugs with an O ring for the overnight soak. Think I got mine from Brownells. One covers a lot, i.e the 308 one does anything with that headsize, ditto belted etc.

I use multiple nitrile glove fingers over the muzzle with a strong rubber band on tight. Clamp the rifle to the bench, muzzle down on a thick folded towel, fill it to the breach with HB9, brush, patch, and lube it tomorrow. Works like a champ and easy on steel. Smells good to boot ... 😜

I use multiple nitrile glove fingers over the muzzle with a strong rubber band on tight. Clamp the rifle to the bench, muzzle down on a thick folded towel, fill it to the breach with HB9, brush, patch, and lube it tomorrow. Works like a champ and easy on steel. Smells good to boot ... 😜

I'd just plug the muzzle with a cork and secure the rifle in an upside down position. Remove the action from the stock if convenient. Put a plastic catch vessel under the muzzle in case it leaks. Fill the barrel until the chamber is about half full and Let R Soak. I'm told that you can do similar for carbon rings except Fill R Up with a product called slip2000. You can re-use the slip2000. Regardless of what I'd use I would wash the chamber and barrel down with 90% rubbing alcohol. followed by some patches n stuff.

You can buy wash bottles like this via eBay.

s-l500.jpg

Just got new Tipton nylon bore brushes. Ready to start scrubbing a couple of my rifles. If I don't post again for a couple of weeks, ya'll send someone over to take my rifle cleaning stuff away from me and make me a big pitcher of Margaritas.
You guys are giving me great ideas for rifle cleaning. Halfway through my first Margarita, I decided to combine two things that I really love.
7bqduXHh.jpg

Oh, and before you get worried and say anything, I'll be sure to chase that salty margarita with a couple of patches of Kroil. So, no worries 😇

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.