Major copper fouling?

I have spent hours with just about everything on the market except the foam products and the muzzle will still have some copper drives me nuts
It's just cosmetic. Guessing it doesn't effect the accuracy of either guns. I have a Weatherby 7mmag that looks identical regardless how much I clean it. I use JB bore paste and it minimizes it a little.

I just got it last Friday, doesn't seem right for a brand new rifle

I was being a little TIC. Barrels that are button rifled are coated with copper before rifling. The copper acts as a lubricant. I think this is still being done. Find out how the barrelmakers got it out. I expect some sort of acid solution.

The more frequently you clean that barrel now( even when taking a break during shooting) the less the copper fouling will occur in the future as the barrel gets burnished/polished. At the moment it might seem like a lot of bother for a new rifle, but eventually the barrel should stay cleaner longer.

Addendum:
got this from Savage Web Site:
What is the barrel break-in procedure?

Savage Moderator
  • 7 years ago
Follow

Although there may be different schools of thought on barrel break-in, this is what Precision Shooting Magazine recommends:
STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)
  • Fire one round
  • Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore
  • Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
  • Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
  • Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore
  • Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
  • Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
  • Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore
STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)
  • Fire a 3 shot group
  • Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group
STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)
  • Fire a 5 shot group
  • Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1
They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore. It is also advisable to use a powder solvent and copper solvent from the same manufacturer to be sure they are chemically compatible.
Thanks for the advice

Long time reader, first time poster. I just bought a brand new savage apex 110 300 win mag. i put 70 rounds through it this weekend, federal non-typical 180 grain soft points, from academy. I put about 50 patches, some dry, some damp, and some soaked in hoppes no. 9. however my barrel still has this fouling. is this abnormal? I ordered bore tech cu 2. should be here wednesday.

Yes that's normal - hoppes #9 S U C K S
Get some eliminator or wipeout. CR10 or KG12 work great for copper.

UPDATE:::::::

Forst off, I realized quite quickly i'm the young buck here. I'm a college student (who is broke since he bought a rifle a week before rent was due) so I gotta work with what I got right now.

I received bore tech cu2 in the mail today so I got started after work tonight. As you can see the bore tech is working but now when i look down the barrel I can see small chunks/balls/build up of lead/carbon/idkwtf in there. It looks as if it is in the grooves, about 6 inches into the barrel. the balls of gunk come out after I run a 2 dry patches (1 patch 2 trips) down the barrel. Thank yall for all the advice, i'm learning a lot from a single question.

SEE PICS BELOW

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
A few years back a good friend, match rifle maker and shooter put me onto a product he used. It was Mercury Marine foam carbon cleaner you would shoot into the intakes of the carbs. I still have a couple cans and when the bbl carbon or donut won't come clean I use it. It does the job. Albeit, like sweets, I do not leave it in the bore For very long. Not sure if it is still available.

A few years back a good friend, match rifle maker and shooter put me onto a product he used. It was Mercury Marine foam carbon cleaner you would shoot into the intakes of the carbs. I still have a couple cans and when the bbl carbon or donut won't come clean I use it. It does the job. Albeit, like sweets, I do not leave it in the bore For very long. Not sure if it is still available.

Sea Foam?

Bore tech C4 works well. Not a big fan of Non-ammonia based cleaners as I don't think they perform as well but this does well.

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_070030324.jpg
    IMG_20200702_070030324.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 86
A couple of suggestions:
• suggest you use bronze core brushes rather than steel cored. Steel cores can damage your rifling.
• Also, didn't see one, but if you don't have one, get a bore guide to keep the rod and tip straight in the barrel.
• Recommend a bore specific pierce type jag to push patches. They do a far superior job to loops.
You can get non-brass jags so you don't get false positives on copper (blue patches)
Good luck on your journey in school and at the range!

I was being a little TIC. Barrels that are button rifled are coated with copper before rifling. The copper acts as a lubricant. I think this is still being done. Find out how the barrelmakers got it out. I expect some sort of acid solution.
The copper-acid solution you are talking about is to etch the barrel before rifling and lube not the lubricant it's a whole different product.

For bad copper fouling don't waste money on all the different cleaners. Buy some industrial ammonia (I get mine from Ace) and use that. Soak a patch, run down the bore and wait a few minutes. Run a brush and then dry patch. Do that until all copper is removed then clean with a regular solvent like Hoppes to make sure no ammonia is left anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.