Major copper fouling?

I use Barnes CR-10 and it works faster than Sweet's and Butch's Bore Shine. It does contain ammonia, but it saves so much scrubbing time, I don't mind the smell.
I agree, wet a patch and run thru bore, let sit for 5 minutes and run a nylon bore brush thru. Switch to hoppe's and alternate wet and dry patches about 5-6 times and see if bore isn't clean. Barnes knows how to clean copper deposit's just don't leave it in for more than five minutes, then clean.

If that copper color bothers you that much, nylon brush and Isso or JB bore paste and work the area for 8-10 strokes. It'll clean it up. Sweets works too as well as some others. I use 50BMG or Butches bore shine on all mine. Seems to do well on copper and carbon/powder.

I'm bummed out that I'm almost out of this stuff. It's got a copper removing additive in it and when you push the foam out (after letting it sit for 30-40 minutes) it's a pretty blue color. I use it alternately with Hoppes and it works great. I got some Sweets too but that stuff pretty strong.
2C6B3F41-8137-4C4D-87DF-1A08AAEAEBA5.jpeg

A lot of shooters rave about Foul Out foam. I used there "Accelerator" and Foul Out foam until the patches came out clean. Then, just for the heck of it, I ran a few wet patches with Bore Tech Eliminator and let it sit for awhile. When following up with another wet patch I was surprised to find more blue on the patch.
I use plated jags and nylon brushes so the blue wasn't coming from my cleaning routine.

Just my observation.

If you get all of the first 4-5" of the throat cleaned up well, your barrel will shoot like new even if you don't get every bit of copper out of the remaining bore. I always try to reach the clean patch point before finishing the regiment but it's not necessary everytime. In the off season I'll scrub them that way but getting 75-80% of the worse dirty out is good when I'm using the rifles.

If you get all of the first 4-5" of the throat cleaned up well, your barrel will shoot like new even if you don't get every bit of copper out of the remaining bore. I always try to reach the clean patch point before finishing the regiment but it's not necessary everytime. In the off season I'll scrub them that way but getting 75-80% of the worse dirty out is good when I'm using the rifles.
How can I tell that the first few inches is clean? It looks like it is when looking from the bolt position. but when I look down the muzzle end you can't tell the copper is there either only when looking at it from a sharp angle. If that makes any sense

Interesting, good to know. I think the JB bottle even says something about the first third of the barrel.

How can I tell that the first few inches is clean? It looks like it is when looking from the bolt position. but when I look down the muzzle end you can't tell the copper is there either only when looking at it from a sharp angle. If that makes any sense
I use a borescope. Picked up one of the 50.00 Teslong models on Amazon. Plugs into my cell phone and is a awesome tool for cleaning. Every shooter should have one JUST for cleaning rifles

Savage factory barrels are notorious for copper fouling, they typically shoot pretty decent but have tooling Mark's that contribute to the copper.
I wouldnt shoot more than about 25-30 rounds before I cleaned the barrel.
Savage and Remington seem to foul up pretty bad. Most factory barrels IMO foul faster than custom rifle barrels. At least mine have been that way.

Savage factory barrels are notorious for copper fouling, they typically shoot pretty decent but have tooling Mark's that contribute to the copper.
I wouldnt shoot more than about 25-30 rounds before I cleaned the barrel.
What's a tooling mark? From the cleaning rods?

It's very frustrating but you can't really tell much about a bore by looking down it. It may look nice and shiny but the things lurking therein can be deceiving. I need to get off my cheap butt and get a borescope!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts