Maine Moose WMD 2

Salmonhead

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Anyone hunt moose in northern Maine? I drew a cow tag this year and looking for pointers in the area.

Congrats on the tag! I had a bull tag in a nearby area several years ago. It looked like a lot of hunters just drove around. When I was checking my moose in, I asked the guy checking what those hunters did as the season wound down. His response, "Drive faster."

If you are going DIY, you should start finding a place to stay or camp and confirm what lands are open to hunt and what hoops you need to jump through to hunt them. Although your area has more public land than a lot of the moose zones, most of it is private. I hunted land within the North Maine Woods and rented a cabin. I would also recommend lining up a local meat processor ahead of time. There used to be a list on the IFW website.

Good luck.

BTW - we got to my zone a couple of days before the hunt and we did see a bunch of moose just driving around. I would definitely recommend getting there a few days early, if you can. And, watch out for logging trucks.