Maine Deer-What's Happened?

Dskiper

I just returned from the Dover-Foxcroft area of Maine.We(3hunters)spent a week on stand&stillhuntin those woods without seeing a deer!!Even the sign(rubs,droppings)were slim.I've hunted Maine over 30+yrs.but not the last 3-4yrs. What's goin on? Moose sign was plentiful. Coyote droppings all over!No deer! Dskiper

Hi DSkiper,

I'm not from Maine but (New Hampshire) and I don't know where your from but and all I can say is we got hit good last year with record snow totals and that put a hurt a lot of deer. NHFG shorten the rifle season in WMU A by a week and only allowed 2 days for antlerless deer. From what I'm hearing from guys I know that hunt up state Maine said it was hit the worst. I'm surprised none of the locals had mentioned that to you.

Hello, In response I spoke to many locals! yes,they said the winter was bad but I didn't realize till Isaw it for myself! It will take many years to bring back aherd.They won't get my licence money again!The season should be closed or cut to 1-2weeks max. I loved that state,u really earned your deer and usally gave up a good buck!Guess I'll search elsewere for next year! Thanks, Dskiper

Last winter was VERY BAD - lots of deep snow and cold temps. The DNR estimated up to 50% of the deer herd was lost in the Northern section of the state.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.