Magpro Powder

I played with it a little in my 270 WSM, it was way better than R17, showed less pressure signs with more speed. Accuracy was also better. It's on the winter list of powders to tinker with more. It showed promise though.

I have loaded this powder in many different cartridges. It is now one of my favorites. Let me know what cartridge you want info on and I may have done it or one very similar.

I am going to try it in 7mm wsm first. I was told by a guy at the range that he could not get any consistency out of his 270 wsm until he went to Magpro powder. Any help or information is greatly appreciated.

What I had was loading 2 rounds at 1/2 gr increments, I would have to check what I started with but when I hit the max with pressure signs the, same as my Retumbo, load I was pushing a 140 Berger at 3420 up from 3300 with good hint of accuracy. R17 max'ed out at 3260, and was spraying them out to 3 in.

My 7mm RM likes to send a 162 Hornaday and 160 AB @ 3050 fps with 67.8 gr MagPro and WLR primer. 0.8 moa average. Remmy SPS 3x9 Leupy.

Your mileage may differ.

JM 0.2

Last edited:
Have any of you tried this powder in a 270Win? I saw velocities listed on the Accurate website but thought they may be a bit optimistic. They're showing 3234fps. Wondering if I'll like it any more than H4831SC.

I have tried Magpro in my 270 Winchester, with mixed results. I never was able to get the accuracy I was looking for so I gave up, despite the fact that I was getting more velocity than I had ever gotten from my Ruger 77. Many other people have gotten great velocity and accuracy with this powder so I may have given up too early.

The web site lists 65 grains as a Max load with a 130 grain Nosler BT bullet and they show the velocity at over 3200 ft./sec out of a 24 inch barrel. I was able to get 3100 ft/sec with a 130 grain Hornady bullet out of my 22 inch barrel. So if you are looking for velocity I think Magpro does offer it. Also some have said that this powder likes close to max loads and it is more accurate at near max loads. Maybe that is why I did not get the accuracy I wanted since I did not work up to a max load.

I worked up a nice load with MagPro in my 264 winchester Magnum 26" barrel

Winchester Brass
winchester LRM primers
OAL 3.285
66 grains
velocity 3,147
group .186

i havent used it for hunting yet

I worked up a nice load with MagPro in my 264 winchester Magnum 26" barrel

Winchester Brass
winchester LRM primers
OAL 3.285
66 grains
velocity 3,147
group .186

i havent used it for hunting yet

Going to try it in my .270mag (Mk.V Weatherby) with 150 grain bullets. Can't get 3100 anymore, and need something else.
gary

Tried it in my 300WSM. Wasn't impressed. Had to use almost 10 grains more to get the same velocity as Vhita N550 and it was DIRTY burning. Dumped it on the ground and burned it.