Magnum/Super Magnum Barrel Life Register

.30cal fanatic

i thought it would be cool if we had a registry of shooters experiences with barrel life on the larger magnums, that way users have atleast an approximation of what to expect when choosing a chambering.

I have shot over 2000 rounds with my win and rem mags but have recently built quite a few of the newer cals and am interested as to what everyone else is achieving.

Of particularly interest to me is:
6.5 PRC
28 Nosler
30/28 Nosler
300 RUM
300 Norma and NMi
338 Edge
338 Lap

Please share your experiences.

338 Edge @ 402 rounds, throat has grown .056" since new.
338-416 Rigby Improved @ 100 rounds, no throat wear to note.
375-416 Rigby Improved @ 27 rounds, no throat wear.
300WM @ 486 rounds, .043" throat wear using RE25 and 200gr Accubonds. This wear is faster than my comp guns, but it is a 4 groove CM barrel.
On average, my comp barrels wear around .040" per 300 rounds and get 3 setbacks during their lifespan.
2-3 seasons is all I get out of them.

Cheers.

338 Edge @ 402 rounds, throat has grown .056" since new.
338-416 Rigby Improved @ 100 rounds, no throat wear to note.
375-416 Rigby Improved @ 27 rounds, no throat wear.
300WM @ 486 rounds, .043" throat wear using RE25 and 200gr Accubonds. This wear is faster than my comp guns, but it is a 4 groove CM barrel.
On average, my comp barrels wear around .040" per 300 rounds and get 3 setbacks during their lifespan.
2-3 seasons is all I get out of them.

Cheers.
Great info

It would be nice if it were accurate, BUT there are so many factors that can effect barrel life that it would only be a guess.

I know many ways to improve barrel life if they are followed, and also many ways to reduce barrel life. These things are very dependent on the care and maintenance by the owner.

Cartridges that are notoriously bad on bores CAN be managed to make the barrels last longer, just like cartridges that have a reputation for long barrel life can be shortened.

I have seen barrels shot out with less than 300 rounds and other barrels with the same cartridge that are still shooting after 3000 rounds. If you could get enough input It might give you the fore site for what not to do and what you could do to help the bore last.

Like you, I would like some guidance, but having replaced many barrels and discussed with the owners, procedures as what led up to this point I find two many variations by the owners to come up with a good measure of barrel life of a certain cartridge.

The list of things that effect barrel life are to long to list and then there is the human factor.

The best thing to do is pick the cartridge you want, and everyone just do their thing and except the barrel life you get for what you want.

Not being negative, just practical.

J E CUSTOM

It would be nice if it were accurate, BUT there are so many factors that can effect barrel life that it would only be a guess.

I know many ways to improve barrel life if they are followed, and also many ways to reduce barrel life. These things are very dependent on the care and maintenance by the owner.

Cartridges that are notoriously bad on bores CAN be managed to make the barrels last longer, just like cartridges that have a reputation for long barrel life can be shortened.

I have seen barrels shot out with less than 300 rounds and other barrels with the same cartridge that are still shooting after 3000 rounds. If you could get enough input It might give you the fore site for what not to do and what you could do to help the bore last.

Like you, I would like some guidance, but having replaced many barrels and discussed with the owners, procedures as what led up to this point I find two many variations by the owners to come up with a good measure of barrel life of a certain cartridge.

The list of things that effect barrel life are to long to list and then there is the human factor.

The best thing to do is pick the cartridge you want, and everyone just do their thing and except the barrel life you get for what you want.

Not being negative, just practical.

J E CUSTOM

Only after people's experiences not the golden number of cartridges life. I think if we get enough data ppl can average out what cartridges do what. It's a register of what people have encountered. Ppl take it for what it is. Not Gospel

I will add, on average, my comp barrels (416R) last around 2000 rounds with 3 setbacks and are in 22-250AI, 264WM, 6.5X47 & 300WM.
I do not clean back to squeaky clean after every match, I clean carbon after every round, which is 120 rounds roughly.
Often, my barrels have had 300 rounds down before I clean thoroughly with carbon cleaning in between this.
I use Hoppes No9 for carbon and Sweets 7.62 for copper.
My hunting rifles get cleaned when required, I used to clean after every session, even if only 1 shot was fired. I find this unnecessary, I do run a patch of Hoppes/dry patch through before storing away.

Cut rifled/honed barrels require different cleaning procedures to factory CM hammer forged barrels or button rifled stainless barrels.
Therefore, their barrel lives can be vastly different in my experience.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.