Magnum RPR

but I guess it is a touch heavy for a hunting rifle at 15#.

It depends on what the rest of us consider as being heavy for hunting. There are other discussions here that will cover this in more detail than I want to so check the search feature for more reading. I personally do not mind a 15 pound hunting rifle and carry one regardless of other opinions.

The other discussion which will come up is based on the design of the Ruger RPR. Apparently Ruger is trying to entice the long range shooters/competitors rather than the longer range hunters. This style of chassis usually lends itself to the shooters not the hunters. I have several chassis rifles which I use for hunting and I've had good results and I'm comfortable using them.

If you're considering this for club competitions or an introductory rifle for the .338 Lapua then your in good stead. The reports on the other RPRs have been very complimentary.

Wait for the others to post, sit back and enjoy!;):D

Sable:

Is it mainly the big magazine on the Ruger RPR that you don't like for hunting? Which chassis is your favorite for a hunting rifle?

I like the looks of the Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle. I'm tempted to buy one in 300 Norma Magnum. It has an 8 twist 26 inch barrel which I like, OK I'd like 7 twist even better but that might be a stretch. It also has a big magazine. Weight should be just over 8 lbs. Also comes in 338 Lapua at 8.4 lbs. So it's a lighter alternative to the Ruger RPR.

My main concern for the CA MPR is how accurate and shootable it would be esp at that weight. I'd also like to know the magazine length and freebore for both rifles. Are they really setup for the longest bullets?

https://christensenarms.com/modern-precision-rifle/

Last edited:
15# for a traditional tactical/target stocked rifle is heavy & bulky. Whereas a 15# chassis rifle is heavy & slim. That's my take on my rifles. I don't mind a 15# rifle, still hunting ain't my game.

Is it mainly the big magazine on the Ruger RPR that you don't like for hunting?

This was my reply above:

I have several chassis rifles which I use for hunting and I've had good results and I'm comfortable using them.

The observation I was making was with regard to the way others view the use of a chassis for hunting, not the way I use them. Magazine hanging down, metal forearms and AR-style butt stocks don't affect me at all.

Which chassis is your favorite for a hunting rifle?

SABER Modular Rifle Chassis Systems
Carbon Fiber Mod 1

Is probably my favorite all-time chassis although I think highly of the JAE chassis also. I still hunt with nearly every other brand or variation when the set up suits the hunt. I even use the Badger Ordnance M5 Detachable Box Magazine system on my composite stocks.

Regards.

I don't miond the weight too much either with the proper way to carry it. I get a hoot out of these things, that's why I started the thread. I(f I said the weight is fine, many would have howled it's too heavy!;)
I have hunted with a Sendero for the last 20 years or so.
This RPR with good optics and ammo and sling/Bipod will be 18# or better.

I am considering the 338!!

Last edited:
I'm betting in a cpl years they'll roll it out in the 300prc just like they did with 243->6cm

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.