Magnum rifle

Hello all I'm looking at getting either a savage high country or bergara ridge or a Remington 700 police.all have the same barrel length and are with in couple oz of each other.also all are in kinda the same price range as well.out of these three in 300 win mag what would be better choice I want to be able to load 180 to 215 grain bullets after I get the dies and all after I buy the rifle it will be a stand rifle and spot and stalk rifle as well.ive looked at the hmr as well but rifle alone weighs 11 lbs.if some one has a better choice than these that's threaded from factor just let me know.also please no tikkas or anything not threaded from factory thanks

I have a Rem 700 in 300 WM that I won. It came with a 1:10 twist barrel. Doesn't like anything over 190gr. Love the gun but get a 1:8 or 1:9 twist for the heavier bullets.

Hello all I'm looking at getting either a savage high country or bergara ridge or a Remington 700 police.all have the same barrel length and are with in couple oz of each other.also all are in kinda the same price range as well.out of these three in 300 win mag what would be better choice I want to be able to load 180 to 215 grain bullets after I get the dies and all after I buy the rifle it will be a stand rifle and spot and stalk rifle as well.ive looked at the hmr as well but rifle alone weighs 11 lbs.if some one has a better choice than these that's threaded from factor just let me know.also please no tikkas or anything not threaded from factory thanks
They are factory barrels put together in mass so really it's a roll of the dice on quality and finish. It's just a simple fact. Not good or bad. Given that I'd pick the one with stock and balance that fits you best. I've handled all three at various times and I like cost, eyeball quality, and balance of the Bergara the best. A friend has a B-14 Hunter in 300 Win that I shot. It was very comfortable even with no brake. Also, it seems like Bergara has been upgrading their B-14 action after a few fails. So you'll get an upgrade there. The Savage obviously has the easy barrel swap which can be nice down the road.

Hopefully one of the stocks fits you well.

Between these I would go with the Bergara, I am unfamiliar with the Remington 700 police though. My opinion from owning both, the 300 win mag Savage(accurate enough), my experience is the Savage actions just take some rounds to smooth out, have a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor it was smooth out of the box and was accurate out of the box( shot some groups through the same hole during breakin(my daughter will use this for white tail, mule deer). I have shot whitetail with a 150 grain white tail round in my 300 win mag, as well as elk with heavier rounds, the caliber is versatile enough. You may want to look at the Nosler 190 grain long range accubond for elk. Good luck and have fun.

M
300 win mag load.png
y HMR 1-10 shoots the 212 perfect

I hate to be that guy that says " why don't you just get a (something that you didn't even mention in your question)" Cause I know how that feels. I will go ahead though, If you could get a factory rifle chambered in 300 prc, then it would be throated for longer bullets such as 225s and would accommodate a 215 better than the 300 win mag. It would also have a more suitable twist for a 215-225. The factory chamber on most 300 win mags are somewhat short for a 215. I'm sure there's a pile of people running the 215 with success in a factory chamber 300 win mag. I know bergara has rifles Chambered in 300 PRC. I'm not even a hater of the belt of the 300 win mag, I just think you would be two steps ahead if you planned on running 215gr plus bullets if you went with a 300 prc. And you may very well do fine with them in the 300wm.

I hate to be that guy that says " why don't you just get a (something that you didn't even mention in your question)" Cause I know how that feels. I will go ahead though, If you could get a factory rifle chambered in 300 prc, then it would be throated for longer bullets such as 225s and would accommodate a 215 better than the 300 win mag. It would also have a more suitable twist for a 215-225. The factory chamber on most 300 win mags are somewhat short for a 215. I'm sure there's a pile of people running the 215 with success in a factory chamber 300 win mag. I know bergara has rifles Chambered in 300 PRC. I'm not even a hater of the belt of the 300 win mag, I just think you would be two steps ahead if you planned on running 215gr plus bullets if you went with a 300 prc. And you may very well do fine with them in the 300wm.
I like the looks of the 300 prc and I wouldn't be against it at all if I can find the rifle I want and that fits my needs.and I haven't be able to fine much load data but I may not be looking in the right place

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.