Magnum or standard primers.

I use Fed GM215M in all of my cartridges that use large rifle primers. I also use Quickload for all of my load development these days. When working a new load I play with powder selection that gets me to 100% fill and preferably 100% powder burn within the barrel. many of these will be over modern book max loads. I've never had a cartridge show concerning over pressure signs using this method even at max or slightly over max loads.

I've not seen any evidence that Mag primers make enough of a pressure or velocity difference over standard primers to be concerned with.

I use Fed GM215M in all of my cartridges that use large rifle primers. I also use Quickload for all of my load development these days. When working a new load I play with powder selection that gets me to 100% fill and preferably 100% powder burn within the barrel. many of these will be over modern book max loads. I've never had a cartridge show concerning over pressure signs using this method even at max or slightly over max loads.

I've not seen any evidence that Mag primers make enough of a pressure or velocity difference over standard primers to be concerned with.
Mike, since you use QuickLoad do you also try to load near OBT?

I use QL also and have used the OBT method. I've found that in most cases it will get you somewhat close to a good load provided your rifle can deal with it pressure wise if it happens to be an upper node. JME

I agree with you as far as pressure and primers changes go. Since you are using QL instead of a pressure trace, are you adjusting the burn rate of the powder to match actual measured velocity. Reason I ask is I have found adjusted QL pressure figures to be very close to published pressure data from loading manuals/sites so I am surprised to hear you say that many of your loads are higher than modern published max. Are you also getting higher than published velocities?

I use QL before, but then again after. Measured capacity of fire cases, adjust burn rate to much measure velocity, use that to go to next level of testing

I agree with you as far as pressure and primers changes go. Since you are using QL instead of a pressure trace, are you adjusting the burn rate of the powder to match actual measured velocity. Reason I ask is I have found adjusted QL pressure figures to be very close to published pressure data from loading manuals/sites so I am surprised to hear you say that many of your loads are higher than modern published max. Are you also getting higher than published velocities?

Yes I do adjust the burn rates although they are usually pretty close to calculated velocity I do get oddities from time to time but normally it's pretty close.

What I mean about above publish pressure is, lets say a particular load in a load manual gives a specific charge at shows a given pressure. Many times QL will show a higher powder charge before it reached calculated max pressure. My 257 Wby with RL25 for example is about 6 grains over what I found in manuals but I have no pressure signs when shooting And the velocity results are 200FPS faster than advertised book velocities.

Not sure if this has been asked before. What is the point at which some one should switch from standard to magnum primers. Does it go by charge weight,burn rate of the powder or temp most shooting will be done. Part of the reason I am asking is I am working up a load for my 280 Rem. I am using slow powders in the burn rate of Rl 25 to push the 168 VLD Hunting bullet. These powders max around 60 grains of powder give or take. I started load work up with the Fed 210M primers but I am wondering if the 215 might be a better choice. Seeking the help of the experts here.

As everyone has indicated, there are lots of variables. Another example; In 30-06 w/ 57 to 58.5gr RL16 pushing 150 Accubond, I had to switch from WLR primer to WLRM to get a clean burn which resulted in higher velocity and waaaayyyyy less deposits in the bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.