Magnum or standard primers.

I use Fed 215m primers in 90% of my guns that use a LR primer. The small primer cases all use CCI 450s. It does have a little bit to do with the fact that I have like 12,000 of the Fed 215s though! Lol

I lack a quickload program ... can anyone tell me what 280AI 160 accubond with RE23 looks like with Federal 210M vs. 215M?

I use standard primers in most of my loads. Magnum primers in my 7 Rem 300 Win and 338 Lapua magnums. If your Pants pockets are deep you can use magnum primers in non magnum cartridges just check for pressure signs.

I lack a quickload program ... can anyone tell me what 280AI 160 accubond with RE23 looks like with Federal 210M vs. 215M?
QuickLoad does not take into account primer

I always used to use magnum primers in all my rifles except my bench rest ones. In my bench rest rifles I used 210M primers or 205M. Just started to try standard primers in my non magnum rifles. Then while working up a load for my 280 using Rl 26 thought maybe magnum primers were needed. So I came to the best place I know to ask such a question.

Not sure if this has been asked before. What is the point at which some one should switch from standard to magnum primers. Does it go by charge weight,burn rate of the powder or temp most shooting will be done. Part of the reason I am asking is I am working up a load for my 280 Rem. I am using slow powders in the burn rate of Rl 25 to push the 168 VLD Hunting bullet. These powders max around 60 grains of powder give or take. I started load work up with the Fed 210M primers but I am wondering if the 215 might be a better choice. Seeking the help of the experts here.
If your gun isn't a magnum caliber stick with the large rifle primers.

I use a mag primer when using ball powders regardless the case size or when the capacity gets to 55grs of powder or more. Not saying that at 55 I just switch, but if problems surface concerning ignition I will switch to a mag primer, and try several brands. JME
This, then, raises the question: How do you know you have problems with ignition? Is it a notable delay?

All I ever use is magnum primers now.I used to use WLR for my non-magnum and WLRM for my magnums.WLR is one of the hottest primers in the non-magnum class.Tried the WLRM in my 308 Win,30-06 and 338-06 and they work great with very little difference in velocity between the two primers,I just used my same load with both primers.Examples of WLRM primers.
sako 308 IMR 4895.jpg
sako r-16.jpg
20170410_141619_HDR.jpg
308 TAC 2.jpg
338-06.jpg
308 A-4064.jpg

Last edited:
I think you already have some good input but I thought I'd add that the slow burning RL25 is going to add pressure with a magnum primer so the many suggestions of starting with non mag primer and easing into a magnum if need be, is the way to go. The idea of just using magnum primers, with no regard to powder used, seems risky without being sure about your pressure levels.

I think you already have some good input but I thought I'd add that the slow burning RL25 is going to add pressure with a magnum primer so the many suggestions of starting with non mag primer and easing into a magnum if need be, is the way to go. The idea of just using magnum primers, with no regard to powder used, seems risky without being sure about your pressure levels.
Seem and is are two different things. Instead of making stuff up or going off what you hear on these boards maybe try taking a look at the actual studies done on this stuff. Here is an extensive study. Does primer change make a difference, yes, a VERY SMALL one. No where near what many on here are making it out to be.

Primer Study

The VERY SMALL difference is still a difference and my sources were Speer and Hornady so instead of emotionally accusing someone of making anything up, I'd stick with facts. Thanks for the clarification though, when loading for top velocities, it IS risky to not ease in when going from standard to magnum primers.

More to the point, that 280 is a dandy, being able to make up most of the 7rm velocity gain and is a bit unique between the std and magnums, with the shoulder that 0.50" forward of that of a 270, so I could see it using both types with great results. Good thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rules of thumb established 70 years ago have mostly gone the way of the dodo.
Long necks help accuracy...nope.
Magnum primers for ball powders...nope.
Double base powders increase pressures differently to single base powders with primer change...yes, but not catastrophically. My pressure trace says so. Even some single base powders behave erratically if a hotter primer or colder primer is used.
Winchester primers are the hottest on the market, even hotter than Federal 215's.
So, use Winchester primers, either WLR or WLRM if hunting/shooting in the extreme cold.
Experiment, let the load tell you what primer it likes. Magnum primers do not always increase ES/SD numbers, not saying it doesn't happen, but you won't know until you try it.
Everyone and, I mean everyone, is biased.
I do not use CCI primers because ONE TIME I had hang fires with H4350 in a 300WM.
Just can't bring myself to buy them again and, this occurred 30+ years ago now.
😇

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.