Magnum obsession seems real

PS.Phycology is the study of algae. Also you don't even feel the recoil of a 416 Rigby when you are shooting a lion or cape buffalo. I know the Rigby does not have MAGNUM in its name but I think most would agree it fills all the requirements of a magnum. The only thing most shooters are trying to compensate for when shooting the big magnums is getting to use the return half of their round trip ticket home.
Thanks need to pay more attention

I have seen a 270 take the legs out from under a lot of elk. I would argue bullet selection and shot placement is more important than the cartridge. It wasn't the 270's fault, it was your buddies poor marksmanship.
100% impossible for you to say. One year I was hunting elk with a 25-06, loaded with 100 TTSX. I stalked to just under 200 yards of a small group of cows, the closest one was broad side, I put one right behind the front shoulder, she spun around and I put another right next to it before she left. I assumed she was dead right around the bend of the hill, but she wasnt, she was hurt but she was upright and walking through the trees, I proceeded to put 4 more in her at under 250 yards at which point I ran out of ammo. I had to just watch her till she finally bedded and I snuck up on her and killed her with a 44 mag. I realize 100 grains is a little light, but it goes to show its not always shot placement, upon skinning I found out the bullets were entering the rib cage and running out of juice pretty much instantly and didnt cause soft tissue damage to speak of. they were just barely inside. a bigger rifle.. (magnum) she would have likely been dead within feet if not instantly.

100% impossible for you to say. One year I was hunting elk with a 25-06, loaded with 100 TTSX. I stalked to just under 200 yards of a small group of cows, the closest one was broad side, I put one right behind the front shoulder, she spun around and I put another right next to it before she left. I assumed she was dead right around the bend of the hill, but she wasnt, she was hurt but she was upright and walking through the trees, I proceeded to put 4 more in her at under 250 yards at which point I ran out of ammo. I had to just watch her till she finally bedded and I snuck up on her and killed her with a 44 mag. I realize 100 grains is a little light, but it goes to show its not always shot placement, upon skinning I found out the bullets were entering the rib cage and running out of juice pretty much instantly and didnt cause soft tissue damage to speak of. they were just barely inside. a bigger rifle.. (magnum) she would have likely been dead within feet if not instantly.
If I was going to use a 25-06 for elk, my bullet would be a 120 grain swift a-frame. For me, I wouldn't even consider any other bullet, but that's just my opinion.

It is still hard not to blame the bullet in your example. I shot one of the biggest bulls I have ever killed with a 25-06 shooting 115gr bergers at 250 yards. Took one behind the shoulder, wobbled around for a half second and was done.

I can't see how it could be any deader shooting my 300rum with 215s. Shoot the right bullet and put it where it needs to go.

Well, our experiences indicate otherwise! While they do appear to open quicker than the TSX version....we haven't been disappointed from coyotes to moose, with quite a few antelope/deer and elk thrown in-between! They probably wouldn't be my first choice for American Bison or Cape Buffalo, I'd probably go back to the TSX for those applications! However, the wife and I use cartridges substantially larger than the 25-06.

As an addendum: back in the early '90's a close friend used a TSX from a 25-06 (can't remember the weight) from a 25-06 to take the largest (physical size) bull elk I've ever seen. One shot, through and through from a broadside shot....elk traveled less than 100 yards. memtb

Typical TTSX performance, went through the same thing for years, pump an elk full of TSX or TTSX as fast as I could then shoot it in the head with a 22lr when I finally found them. My buddy and I packed 22lr pistols just to dispatch elk with when we found them when all of us shot Barnes, changed bullets and haven't dispatched and elk since, elk got a lot less hard to kill when I quite using Barnes and I didn't have to use as much rifle either, odd how that works!!

Guess I have too much time on my hands with being laid off for 2 weeks from coronavirus. Trying to get a good load in my 375 ruger. These 2 groups were shot with Norma 203B. They ain't terrible, but looking for better. Might try and switch powder. Seems like there is a microsecond between the primer being punched and powder going off. Not sure what that's ccx about. I don't recall having this issue with other powders.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200330-105957_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200330-105957_Gallery.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would use the words magnum obsession. It's really just rifle obsession. I would bet my house that there are more non magnum rifles being used. Who cares if you use a magnum if that's what you like. I don't need a 700hp Camaro to get groceries but I do because I can. Will a Prius get the job done? Yup. Is that fun? Nope. I have killed over 50 deer with a 257wby MAGNUM and most of them within 150 yards. Yes I could have killed most of them with a 250 Savage or a boring 308 or more boring 30-06 or 270. I have killed deer with them also but I like my 257 wby so I use it. It actually has less energy than my 30-06 so is it really a magnum?
Shep

I know that you had "many" disappoints with the Barnes mono's....your experiences seem to be pretty much an "anomaly"! Though, there were some acknowledged issues with the original Barnes Mono Bullets, these were remedied through improved technology and testing. With your multiple failures, penciling through, with apparent failure to expand, I have to ask.....did you load them "pointy-end" forward? 😁 memtb

Typical TTSX performance, went through the same thing for years, pump an elk full of TSX or TTSX as fast as I could then shoot it in the head with a 22lr when I finally found them. My buddy and I packed 22lr pistols just to dispatch elk with when we found them when all of us shot Barnes, changed bullets and haven't dispatched and elk since, elk got a lot less hard to kill when I quite using Barnes and I didn't have to use as much rifle either, odd how that works!!
the real solution is just use an elk rifle. I dont know what calibers you were using before but seems like the smart thing to do would have been to change guns rather than adding a 22lr to an elk hunt...

I shoot barnes in almost everything and never have issues.. unless im not using enough gun.

Well, our experiences indicate otherwise! While they do appear to open quicker than the TSX version....we haven't been disappointed from coyotes to moose, with quite a few antelope/deer and elk thrown in-between! They probably wouldn't be my first choice for American Bison or Cape Buffalo, I'd probably go back to the TSX for those applications! However, the wife and I use cartridges substantially larger than the 25-06.

As an addendum: back in the early '90's a close friend used a TSX from a 25-06 (can't remember the weight) from a 25-06 to take the largest (physical size) bull elk I've ever seen. One shot, through and through from a broadside shot....elk traveled less than 100 yards. memtb

I shoot Barnes in about everything, my point was that its not all about shot placement. you MUST have enough gun. and a bullet that is heavy enough for that diameter to be able to penetrate. If that bullet had been 20 grains heavier I bet it had been a different story. or if I had been shooting an actual "elk cartridge"

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.