Magnum obsession seems real

There's not even a smidgeon of comparison between a perfect shot and being undergunned as opposed to a lousy shot and overgunned. Makes no sense to me at all.
I'm not a believer in being under gunned , over gunned or making less that perfect shots. To each his own. I don't prescribe what any one decides they want to hunt with. Whether it be a 338 Lapua or a 223 rem. So if we all make perfect shots with whatever were hunting with, there no worries either way.

I think the only thing that bothers me about this discussion is this misnomer that because you shoot a magnum you don't care about accuracy or bullet placement. The fairy take "he pulled out this big magnum and missed several times in camp"! This slant of the magnum for the guy without skill to shoot a standard caliber to take game. I see it in every forum and I just laugh to myself. The guy who flinches with the mag is going to flinch with the 6.5 CM . The worst day I ever had at the range was a day a guy with a AR was shooting his 5.56 using a break . This muzzle blast fierce and even with double hearing protection effected my shooting. The 5.56 is no magnum and I was even shooting it.
I shoot both non mags and mags , I shoot both with equal vigor !I don't shoot the big 300's or the 338's for the Maryland and PA whitetails because the 6mm's 6.5's the 270 win and the 3006 have been more than enough. Though have only limited western experience the several Pronghorns and Mule deer I have taken were with my 270 win. Also more than enough rifle and bullet to do one shot DRT ! However in this time of limited tags and once in a lifetime chances of a dream hunt I'm going to bring the right rifle ! See I have time to develop the rifle /cal combo, I have time to practice , I have time to become proficient . What I don't have is a lot of chances to draw these tags so I'm going to pick the best rifle to cover my needs.
In a perfect world shot placement is no problem, standing broadside, a pause for the cause and the animal is DRT. No quartering shots in cover , no deflected bullets by a unseen limbs or brush . No steps while engaging the trigger. No wind kick up at the shot. I don't live in that world , I live in the world where sometimes there is need for a second shot , I live in the world where it may be a a less than desirable angle. I live in a world where I want enough gun. That all being said I will master my rifle and only take *Rule 1 Violation*al shots , I will use magnums to increase my chance of success!
There are not a lot of guys that shoot big magnums accurately without a brake...maybe the handful that can are all on this site. My guess is those that can't shoot them well without a brake wouldnt admit it anyway.

All you guys shooting magnums are just trying to compensate for something:p

There's not even a smidgeon of comparison between a perfect shot and being undergunned as opposed to a lousy shot and overgunned. Makes no sense to me at all.
I'm not disagreeing with you but either one of those scenarios can end up with an animal you never see again. I'm a believer in a balance of both enough gun and making good shots. How much is gun is enough will forever be debated to no end.

There are not a lot of guys that shoot big magnums accurately without a brake...maybe the handful that can are all on this site. My guess is those that can't shoot them well without a brake wouldnt admit it anyway.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm not compensating for anything. I don't have a brake on my 375, nor will I ever. I just shoot my 375 ruger because I want too. Not trying to be a smart alec, but that's the only reason I can think of. I reload, so I power it down for whitetails by using cast bullets and low velocity. If I ever get drawn for a Maine moose tag, I can power it up for that situation.

I'm not disagreeing with you but either one of those scenarios can end up with an animal you never see again. I'm a believer in a balance of both enough gun and making good shots. How much is gun is enough will forever be debated to no end.
That's true. I guess we gotta talk about something while we're being quarantined. LOL

I've hunted in a few states. Never used a magnum other than a .257Wby and that was only on paper.
I mainly hunt with a 6.5 Creedmoor and rarely exceed 350y on game. Most shots here in SC are under 150.
Now, it seems like every time a cartridge discussion comes up, 7mm or greater mags are the go to.
I know that some folks on here feel that velocity and mass will always trump a well placed shot and we are called Long Range Hunting, but at what point is a magnum necessary?
I guess what I'm asking is at what point did you decide a magnum was the best all around cartridge for you?

In the nature of full disclosure, I also currently own a 6.5PRC, had a 6.5x284, 257WBY and a 300WM(never fired 😕). The PRC's performance(a hunter) reminds me most of my 6.5x284, which was an F Classer.

I'm also considering having a new WSM built. So there's that.
I have been hunting with a 260 Remington sense it first came out in 1997. I used to use the 120 grain bullets till Berger came out with the 140 VLDs. Been using them ever sense. I have taken deer, coyote, ground hog, elk, hogs, bobcats. I took a 250 lb hog at 997 yard back in 2016. A 8 point buck back in 2017 at 705 yards. 2004 I took a cow elk at 800 yards. My favorite shot was a coyote at 1147 yards. Whats Funny about this is I have a 300 RSAUM and a 300 win mag still in the box I know for over 10 years. I have other guns but that list would go on forever. I have taken hogs and deer with my 7 mag also but just feel it's pointless Cause my 260 has dropped everything I've shot at. I still take my 7 Mag for back up.

Attachments

• 972C159F-C592-4A28-8EB7-1CC13F9E3C05.jpeg
    972C159F-C592-4A28-8EB7-1CC13F9E3C05.jpeg
    679.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 2307D685-CFF0-4B7B-AA67-D555F8FF06DA.jpeg
    2307D685-CFF0-4B7B-AA67-D555F8FF06DA.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 78

[/
Thanks UplandFreak for the psychology all this time I thought I was looking for better performance in the field. Awesome insight !

Last edited:
I have been hunting with a 260 Remington sense it first came out in 1997. I used to use the 120 grain bullets till Berger came out with the 140 VLDs. Been using them ever sense. I have taken deer, coyote, ground hog, elk, hogs, bobcats. I took a 250 lb hog at 997 yard back in 2016. A 8 point buck back in 2017 at 705 yards. 2004 I took a cow elk at 800 yards. My favorite shot was a coyote at 1147 yards. Whats Funny about this is I have a 300 RSAUM and a 300 win mag still in the box I know for over 10 years. I have other guns but that list would go on forever. I have taken hogs and deer with my 7 mag also but just feel it's pointless Cause my 260 has dropped everything I've shot at. I still take my 7 Mag for back up.
Lordy. That's some fine shootin'.

PS.Phycology is the study of algae. Also you don't even feel the recoil of a 416 Rigby when you are shooting a lion or cape buffalo. I know the Rigby does not have MAGNUM in its name but I think most would agree it fills all the requirements of a magnum. The only thing most shooters are trying to compensate for when shooting the big magnums is getting to use the return half of their round trip ticket home.

Many folks believe that a perfect shot trumps all. I don't totally disagree with this. But let's flip the coin on the other side. If indeed perfect shots Trump's all can a fellow take a 223 rem and set out after medium up to elk sized game for long range hunting? I wouldn't be inclined to do so myself, but if perfect shots really does Trump all as some say then they should be comfortable with this. So does perfect shot placement make up for underpower?
This is where common sense comes in.
No one said (that I saw) that placement was everything, but first on the list.
Again, no full metal jacket or other common sense factors come in to play I hope

Nice rifle
What are the components?

Use what works for ya! Lately that has been the 6.5 Grendel.
Had a couple of BMGs in the past to shortcut long range but there aint no shortcuts! Triggertime is a lot cheaper with smaller rounds😉

This is where common sense comes in.
No one said (that I saw) that placement was everything, but first on the list.
Again, no full metal jacket or other common sense factors come in to play I hope.
I agree. I'm not going to carry a rifle to hunt with If it doesn't shoot well or if I can't shoot it very well. Accuracy is my first priority also. I hope no one believes that they can set out with a huge magnum and bank on recovering animals that they've gut shot.

Over gunned? No such thing. Poor bullet placement or poor bullet performance.

Many of my friends use a 300 RUM for all their big game hunting from the tiny coues to elk here in Az. It is a great 30 cal long range killler but will still mash um flat at close ranges. I use my 300 RUM exclusively for elk and it has never disappointed even at 50 yds.
I use a 300 RUM for Elk and mule deer in Colorado. I have never had a problem. With shorter distance shots on Texas whitetail it can waste some of the meat, so I use a smaller caliber on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.